The Broken Mirror

Once upon a time, there was a girl born into the wrong end of a fairy tale. While her family had been beautiful, she was born ugly. She learned from a young age to be kept out of sight 'less someone be insulted by her appearance.

Hannah, our Quasimodo, kept to the shadows, dressed in many coats and hoods to conceal her hideous body. And when she had grown into a woman, she was sent out to find her own place to live, somewhere far away from the eyes of others.

She trotted through the woods, all alone until she found a squirrel that was caught in a trap. She released the poor critter and found it an acorn to nibble on. Then she went on her way.

While in the woods, Hannah found something else that would get her through life. Isolated, standing in the woods was a tall, skinny, and dark house, seemingly abandoned with its boarded up windows and cobwebs.

Hannah went inside. The furniture was still there, but only dust and spiders occupied the home. Hannah took a look at a mirror hanging in the foyer, mistakenly removing her hood for a second, resulting in the mirror cracking in two.

Hannah cried and cleaned up the mess. She cleaned the rest of the house as well and turned all the mirrors she could find around. Then, she sat on a couch in the living room. It was a rather nice home for her. It was quiet, still, and out of the way. Perfect for her.

Hannah lived in the house for many years, living off what she foraged from the woods. She would tidy the house bit by bit and read the books that were left behind. One day, she took a look in the attic and found an old weathered chest. She opened it up and found a variety of items inside. A patchwork quilt, a dainty little tea cup, and a round mirror the size of a plate.

But the mirror seemed to be different from other mirrors. It did not break when she showed it her face. And her reflection was that of a beautiful woman.

"What is this? Could it be so?" Hannah thought. "Have I been relieved of my hideous form?"

Hannah stared at the mirror day after day, fantasizing about what it'd be like if she was so pretty. She began to love herself and grew more confident. She was so confident that she decided she'd walk into town without her cloaks.

That was a mistake.

Hannah had a horrible day. People shouted. People laughed. And it was all directed at her. She was chased out of town, being pelted with garbage. Hannah wept for hours over this ordeal.

Though saddened and confused, Hannah could not get rid of the mirror. It had become like a friend to her, telling her she was beautiful. It gave her hope that one day she could be beautiful.

One day, Hannah was sitting at her table with the mirror laid out before her. Then she heard something she hadn't heard in the years she's lived in this house.

Knock-Knock-Knock.

Hannah covered herself with her hoods and answered the door. On the other side stood a gorgeous woman dressed in silk and jewels. She was stunning but seemed startled by Hannah.

"Gosh, you're a hideous bundle of rags!" she gasped.

"M-May I help you?" Hannah asked meekly.

"You should be very pleased to help me," the woman told her. "My name is
Mira, and I'm looking to buy your house."

"B-Buy?"

"For cheap, of course," Mira said and let herself in. "It will need a good cleaning. You can do that, can't you? It's disgusting." The woman spat at all the grime on the walls.