The Fearless Fool

"I'm not afraid of the dark," a lanky young woman was singing to herself as she turned off all the lights in her house, except for one. The one lamp next to her couch in her quaint little living room. She hesitated before she could click it.

Her hand on the switch, a voice cries in a harsh, unflattering tone, "Do it."

"I'm not afraid of the dark," she sang and clicked off the lights. She then danced in her living room, performing her own kind of ballet, feeling a scaly, scrunchy pair of hands guiding her.

Moonlight came through her windows and caught on the mirror across the room. The woman looked through it, singing, "I'm not afraid of old age."

"Then let us," the craggily body behind her cackled. He snapped his fingers and a little sun shone above the woman's head, soaking up all her youth. She let it, not caring for her gray hair and wrinkles.

The woman kept on her dance with this demon. This starving fear festered. It gladly danced with her. And as it passed the doors of her house, you could hear a click, click, click as he locked them all shut.

"I'm not afraid of you," the woman sang to her partner.

They swayed side to side and spun around.

"What are you afraid of then?" the demon swooned, bearing its jagged, pointy teeth.

"Not you or any other demon," she claimed. "It's all in my head."

The demon traced his claw along her neck. "Shall you make me go hungry? Or shall you feed me?" He swung the woman around in their funny little dance.

"Take what you will. I'm not afraid anymore." She leaned in and whispered. "Any challenge can be overcome." She pulled away and stood before her demon. "Even when I have lost everything.

Soon the black shadows crumbled down around her, revealing bright, glorious light. She was in a white room. The white room with padded walls...

And as tears streamed down her face, she could smile because...

...she was no longer afraid.