Prologue

Desiree

The water ran over my skin as almost turning it red with how hot it was as I slid down the shower wall. As I sat down I looked up at the water, tears running down my face and my  mind on the very thing I came in here to escape from. Every time I tried to think about something else my thoughts brought me back to his...that night. 

4 days ago...

"Hey baby, I'm at the restaurant where are you?" I asked trying to hide her smile as she asked afraid he'd hear it in her voice.

"I'm on the way Rae just give me another twenty minutes, I'm stuck at the office." Devin said in his usual monotone voice making my smile to falter completely 

"I thought you got of an hour ago" I said a little disappointedly 

"I did... my boss called me back to finish up some last minute paperwork I forgot.. Ha.. shhhh" Devin said stuttering over the female voice in the background 

"Who was..." I started  "Nobody baby, I'll be over there in twenty minutes or less ma" Devin quickly said before he hung up. 

I quietly put my phone down and closed my eyes before I called him back and showed my ass in this establishment. I'll deal with his high yellow ass when he gets here. It was ten minutes later when I'd calmed down  enough to speak to people without cussing them out I walked over to the bar area of the restaurant and take a seat. 

"What can I get for you love?" The bartender asked he was really good looking nice deep brown skin tone, pearly white teeth, and a head full of hair. Don't even get me started on that body.. good lord I had to remember that I was in a committed relationship to stop me from looking him up and down. Once I had come to my senses I looked back up at his face to see he was wearing a smirk, and looking at me as if to say he didn't mind my staring. 

"Umm, yes.. Can I have an Apple Martini please?" I said as I blushed a little and looked away by the time I had the courage to look back in his direction a drink was placed in front of me.

"Thank you" I said weakly 

"The pleasures all mine love... I hope you don't mind me asking but what's a beautiful lady such as yourself doing here alone?" He said giving me another award winning smile that had me pressing my thighs closer together. 

"Well aren't you the nosy bartender" I said with a smirk of my own "If you must know I'm here waiting on my fiancé, he's running a little late" I said a little more seriously as I looked down at my watch and seen twenty minutes had come and gone almost twice by now.  

"Well that's a shame" he said shaking his head with a deep comical sigh "What is?" I asked as I sipped my drink through the little red straw that'd come with my drink. 

"It's just a shame that someone as fine as you are, are with someone who is not only dumb enough to let you out the house alone in that dress but also someone who is dumb enough not to appreciate you or your beauty letting you come out the house alone at all looking the way that you do."  he said with a smile looking deeply in my eyes

Now I know I should have swooned or thanked him for the compliments he gave me not only did he tell imply that I looked banging in this dress, but he called me beautiful as well. I really wanted to thank him but what he said about MY Devin not appreciating me was some bullshit . We were engaged for crying out loud.