The Truth and Meeting

The Truth and the Meeting

The Truth can hurt people that is just plain and simple. It can destroy a town. Break Friendships. Hell, Even cause wars though I only have to deal with the first two. The coffee shop that I come to is empty with most of the patrons inside being those who are of the elder variety. I smile at most and wave to others as I walk through to the back where the patio lays. The air had a mist of cold over it and though I wore a thick coat and thermals under my jeans, the cold still seemed to seep through them. It was that or the fear. I couldn't quite tell at this moment. I catch sight of her quite quickly since she's the only one outside.

She was still beautiful as ever. I know it has only been two years since I have seen her but she is still beautiful. She had grown her hair out, the long red locks now reaching to her shoulders instead of the bob cut that she spotted in High school. She's even straightened it out and it makes me remember the conversation we had with one another about doing that together. She's dressed in her own thick coat though I could tell that it was the expensive kind. She had money now and I wasn't surprised to see her spend it. I swallowed and tried to breathe through the anxiety that so quickly was rising.

This talk was good for me and her. At least that is what my therapist said. She said it was good that I spoke with her. It would make that guilt that I carried easier to deal with which was a fucked up thing to think about but something my mind needed to do. Easing it would help me focus on my other traumas and make it easier to heal.Suddenly, She turns and catches me, making my heart stop for a moment. Her face is devoid of emotions. She doesn't want to do this. She doesn't want to see me. This was all a mistake. I want to take a step back but something whispers in my ear.

Come On, You can do this! You need this and maybe she does too. I feel my face grow hot with embarrassment as I make my way to the table.

I slide my purse off my shoulders and place it on my lap as I sit. The seat burns with an icy chill and I want to hiss in discomfort but I don't. She decided on this place. I shouldn't go back about her decision.

I clear my throat then push a stray curl back underneath my wrap around my hair.

I raise my head and get a good look at her now. Yep, She was still beautiful. Her cheeks high and her chin pointed with freckles running across them though the makeup she wore covered most of them. Her eyes were still a mix of hazel green though they seemed a bit darker than before. But, neither the less Maddy was still goregous.And alive even after my stupid mistake. I could feel the guilt lessen.

"Hi, Maddy."

"Becca."

The sharp bit in her voice twists my stomach and I swallow.

"Why did you call me, Becca?" She asks to take a sip of her coffee. Something I didn't notice early and the smell of it makes me wish for a cup. Just a bit to chase away the cold and bring in some comfort.

"I think you know, Maddy. I want to talk." I answer toying with the handles of my bag. The strap is old and leathery but it's been with me since before the incident and I just don't want to get rid of it. It's another source of comfort, one I hold so deeply onto.

"Talk, Becca I want almost nothing to do with you. If It wasn't for my Marcus then I wouldn't even be in this place." The sound of his name twists my stomach and makes a wave of anger sweep through me. She is still with him. I feel the anxiety begin to morph into something else.

I stop fiddling with my strap and let out a breath. Anger brings me confidence or fuels it. I don't really know.

"I came to apologize to you. That year in High school, I didn't mean to harm you. I didn't mean to put that into your drink at prom. I am saying sorry. I am hoping you can forgive me for that." Maddy scoffs and that makes my heart flinch in response.