𝐈

Isil Luthien walked through the portal she just opened and found herself in a world she had never been before

Isil Luthien walked through the portal she just opened and found herself in a world she had never been before. She was now in a magnificent forest, which reminded her of her home in Middle-earth. She was perfectly aware that it was not Lothlorien, or even the Woodland Realm, but she felt like she was at home. Her instinct told her that she was at the right place, the one she had seen in a dream. The young elf had been traveling for quite some time, exploring the vastness of the universe without having a specific goal and offering help to populations that needed it, but it was the first time she felt an attraction so deep for a world. She knew neither the name, nor the people, nor the current state of civilization, but she couldn't ignore the message destiny sent her.

Her parents would have encouraged her in this quest, like they had done when she admitted she wanted to leave Middle-earth, that she had already gone through from top to bottom. They were sad to watch her leaving, but they knew that they couldn't restrain her and keep her away from her happiness. Although she was only in her second decade of life, their daughter had already seen more than any man could have seen in theirs. Anyway, her bloodline gave her extraordinary strength and powers and they were not worried about her safety. They had eternity to see her coming back to them once her thirst for adventure would be satisfied.

With elf agility, Isil climbed in a tree in a flash to locate the castle she had seen in her vision. Her keen eyesight allowed her to spot the edge of the forest and the dark shadow of a large residence, but her overdeveloped hearing led her away. She was hearing small animal howls and gruff human voices coming closer to it. She had witnessed human cruelty well enough against living beings that they couldn't control, and Isil couldn't let them hurt those animals, if it was their intention. Jumping from tree to tree lightly, she silently got closer to the noise's source and glanced around the scene that was happening before her eyes.

***

Eddard Stark, Ned for those who're closer to him, Lord of Winterfell, his sons and theirs guards were going back to the castle, after they had executed a young man on patrol of the Night's Watch for desertion. On their way, they found a deer's corpse, then of a giant beast and a litter of small ones, who were very much alive.

"It's a freak," Theon Greyjoy, Ned's pupil, mumbled.

"That's a direwolf," the Lord answered. He took of the deer's antlers, locked inside the wolf's corpse. "Brave creatures..."

"There's no direwolf south of the Wall?" Robb, the eldest of Stark's children, wondered.

"Now, there're five," Jon Snow, Lord's illegitimate child, stated. He grabbed one of the pups and handed it to his young half-brother, Bran. "You want to hold him?"

"Where will they go? Their mother's dead," The boy worried, taking the animal happily.

"They have nothing to do here," Ser Rodrik Cassel, master-at-arms of Winterfell, declared.