Chapter 9 Kings Thoughts

My Queen hadn't shown herself in months. My heart ached for her. She must be devastated about no heir. And it didn't help to watch Fiona flaunt her pregnancy bump around the castle. I really needed to get around to sending her back to her new kingdom.

My heart was also broken too. Anthony had unfortunately passed away from his injuries. He was the only man I knew who was like me. Without him...we had no chance at producing an heir. What was I to do?

"My king." I turned from my desk to one of my Guards. "Lord Vincent is here to see you."

"My cousin ? Please send him in." I said. The guard disappeared. My younger cousin entered my meeting room with his brother Matthew and a few of his men. "My dear cousins. I had no idea you were coming. Please make yourself comfortable."

"I'm afraid I come with bad news. We were passing through on your main road and noticed several heads of your guards on poles along the road." Vincent said sorely.

"MY guards heads?!" I said in shock. "Are you sure?"

"Their uniforms were left as well." Vincent responded. "Unfortunately I am sure."

"The village apparently didn't agree with your hanging." Matthew added. "There was several men bragging about it at the tavern."

"Bring them to me." I said to a few of my guards in the room.

"What will you do ?" Vincent asked.

"Their fate will be the same as they've done to my men." I sighed. "I will not be questioned."

Matthew glanced out the window. "I think I need some fresh air. I'm assuming we are welcome to stay a few nights ?"

"You know cousin you are always welcome," I said with a forced smile.

"Excellent." Matthew said exiting the room.

"I wouldn't let him too far out of your site you know how he is around court women." Vincent said shaking his head.

"Are you staying as well?" I asked.

"Just the night since it's getting too dark to make our journey home." He took a seat in front of my desk. "Cousin I must warn you...I'm hearing whispers through the kingdom. The people are starting to question their security under you as king."

"Because their is no heir." I replied.

"Exactly." He glanced down. "I've been approached by the counsel to take over for you." Vincent's words sent shock through me. The counsel meeting behind my back ?! "I am loyal to you cousin. Be thankful it wasn't Matthew they approached, I have no desire to be king even though I'm next in line. So...if I may be rash because of the severity of this situation. Go fuck like rabbits until there is an heir. Because your life and Queen Theas depends on it."