one.

My name is Maxi and I think I'm in love with my best friend.

No, scratch that actually. I am in love with my best friend and have been for years now. But that's okay. I'm fine with being just friends, admiring him from afar. I think. Okay, maybe my heart aches for more but I'm still absolutely content with how things are right now. Being Noah's best friend is all I could ever ask for, I wouldn't want to ruin that for anything in the world, not even my own stupid feelings. I think.

He is (and this is not meant to be insulting in any way, I still adore him) quite literally a Minecraft streamer. Well, variety streamer but those Minecraft builds are insane, even I can see that and I barely ever play Minecraft. I don't have time for college, studying, taking care of Loki, hanging out with Noah, and playing Minecraft all at the same time. Oh, and also I have to attend my almost daily calls with Lynsey. I have to prioritize, and sadly, playing Minecraft comes in last place.

I also have my part-time job at the local library (I only work weekends because of college), which I love by the way. There is nothing better than the smell of the pages of a fresh, new book. Except maybe hanging out with Noah on a warm spring day. I smile fondly at the many memories I have of him and me as kids, running through the sprinkler and shouting as the chilly water hit our skin. I'm rambling, I was talking about work. Yeah, it's some extra money, but I'm still broke as hell and basically live on student loans. Noah has offered to help with money multiple times but I have refused, I'd feel too bad using his money and I don't want him to think I'm only friends with him still because he has money or is famous. That is also why I've asked him to warn me before he streams so I don't come in unannounced. I don't want his viewers to know who I am.

Calling himself Foolish_Gamers online was about the most accurate thing I have ever seen or heard of. No one I have met has ever been as foolish as Noah can be. Or confused. He's confused a lot of the time.

I stretch in my seat and realize that I have been so caught up in my own mental monologue that I've forgotten to do what I came here to do, study. The other people at the café must think I'm weird for staring out into the nothingness for so long without taking as much as a sip from my coffee, letting my laptop shut down by itself because I haven't touched it in so long.

I slam my laptop shut in embarrassment and earn a few looks from people who jolt at the sudden sound, making me even more embarrassed than I already am. I will never be coming back to this café again because what the hell? I put my laptop in my bag and quickly finish my coffee before leaving, my cheeks glowing red.

As I walk away at a brisk pace I try to convince myself that the only reason I left in such a hurry was to take care of Loki, he has been alone for so long. Loki is my pet kitten that I adopted about a month ago and who I love with all of my heart, but he can be a bit wild. And clingy to the point of trying to bite me when I attempt to leave for college or work or literally anything else. It's adorable, but a tad bit annoying.

After about a ten-minute walk, I unlock the front door to the building with small apartments made for students. I hesitate at the elevator and head for the staircase instead, it's only four floors. I'm not that immovable. I get to my apartment panting, feeling the lactic acid burning in my legs, especially my thighs. I hurriedly put in my key and push the door open, giving it a hard push once I'm inside so that it slams shut behind me.

The sound of a bell jingling lets me know that Loki is racing towards me, almost tripping over his little paws. I smile with adoration as he hurries over to stroke his fragile little body against my leg, demanding I give him my attention. I crouch down, obliging, and begin petting him gently, his soft fur against the palm of my hand. It's almost insane how fond I am of this creature. Loki meows and scurries away towards the kitchen, letting me know that he's hungry and I make a sound somewhere between a sigh and a halfhearted laugh as I rise from the floor, wincing as my muscles cry out in agony. I curse my past self for going so hard on the leg workout yesterday.