旧友

::

::

Unedited

She swayed forwards unsteadily, exhaustion weighing upon each step. The many sleepless nights were finally taking their toll.

It's not safe to rest, Hana told herself, It's not safe—-

Since entering these woods, Hana had felt the gaze of the forest upon her. Something watched her from within the shrouds of darkness... but what? She didn't know.

It hadn't attacked yet, but it also hadn't revealed itself.

What are you waiting for? She thought tiredly, Attack me now. I'm too tired to fight back...

But the creature never did.

When she finally collapsed, the creature moved, catching her in it's arms.

She groaned weakly.

"Sh," said the demon, "sleep, Oni-sama."

The voice sounded familiar.

Trustworthy.

And so she slept.

::

He clutched the old woman's hand.

"R—Rumiko," he sniffled, "I—-"

"Do you believe in reincarnation?"

"Save your breath," he scolded, "s-save your strength. Rumiko, please, I—"

"It's okay, Kiba." She smiled crookedly. "I'm happy... let me go, please. Please? I'm tired, Kiba."

"But—"

"You won't be alone forever, you know.." Rumiko went on. "We'll meet again some day... all of us... it's inevitable. You, me, Oni-sama... even that poor fool Sesshomaru. We'll find each other."

"How do you know?" Kiba asked. "How are you so confident?"

"Destiny brought us together once," Rumiko said, "it will definitely do so again. I'm certain. Just wait a few centuries and find me again—find her again. This time... we'll definitely protect her."

He stayed with the woman, sharing stories until she breathed her last. When the warmth of her body had finally gone cold, he took her body to ruins of her village and buried it beside the grave of Takimaru, her brother.

Kiba wandered the land, searching, vowing to find and wait for his beloved Oni-sama and Rumiko.

Not once did he see Sesshomaru.

::

Hana opened her eyes.

"I hadn't been certain." The familiar stranger began. "You looked similar, but not quite the same. At first I thought you were a man. And I couldn't tell by your smell because you've disguised it with some sort of scented oil."