Chapter Four: One Year Later

Within the Tri-Solar galaxy, bathed in the moonlight of Enos and Nordor, are beautiful Primus and darkly-scarred Denebria, two worlds at war with one another.

Captain Darius and Lt. Hydron, soldiers in servitude to the Galactic Guardians of Primus, are in the midst of fending off an attack from Denebrian forces on the space observatory Titus.

"We cannot wait any longer Hydron, have the council finished their deliberations?"

"Even in the face of approaching Armageddon, they still argue Captain"

"Then we must take matters into our own hands, and approach the veil ourselves"

"Doing so may prove too dangerous"

"The danger is clear, and it is present. If we do not make our way over to the past, Primus will have no future to speak of"

"You argument is fair my friend, let us fly true"

Hydron and Darius fought their way through the observatory en route to its launch hanger, with fierce exchanges of firepower between them and their enemies.

Reaching the bay, the pair found two Denebrian enforcers circling standing beside the entrance ramp of a small Starship.

"Hydron, head to the left, I'll handle the one on the right"

"You're always leaning right"

"Because I'm always right"

Hydron and Darius part company but for a moment. In that moment, they carefully set up positions behind some nearby apparatus.

Darius turned to his right to see Hydron gesture with a hand signal, telling him to lower his head.

Like two apex predators in some fervent jungle, they composed themselves, taking deep breaths, becoming one with the placidity of all around them, letting only the faintest noise of the guards' footsteps dictate their timing.

Each step back and forth from them proved a gamble for Darius and Hydron's opportunity, as they would walk casually into shot only to stroll right back out of range again.

The patter of hurrying feet towards the docking bay indicated time was not on the side of the two valiant guardians. As the Denebrians they had kept at bay were quickly recouping and remounting their advance. They had to time this just right in the moments still allocated to them.

Finally, the two guards lingered in the right space long enough to act. Hyperion launched himself from his hiding position and took acute aim with his trident gun, targeting the piping a few meters above where the guards stood. He opened fire and the spear that launched from the weapon sliced through its target, bringing some of it crashing down on one of them, whilst Darius engaged in a brief laser skirmish with the other guard, eventually he succeeded in disabling him.

Hydron and Darius surveyed their handiwork.

"Told you" Darius spoke, highly confident of himself, while a heedful Hydron alerted him to impending arrivals.

"Their back-up is on the way, we'd best fly now"

The pair climbed into the ship and took off just as the remainder of the Denebrians pouring into the docking bay opened fire, their blasts only singeing the hull of the ship, leaving a couple of charred marks, but leaving no significant damage.

The ship flew from the observatory and towards the sight of a breathtaking sight, a pulsating, swirling energy ribbon rippling across the stretch of the known galaxy, originating from what appeared to be a large white cosmic nexus.