if that's it

"What do you mean?" Cage asks, furrowing her brows.

"Grandpa Ron said that he is Cale," On states. "However, Cale told us the strong Choi Han beat him up. That isn't how they met. My brother and I were there."

"You're suggesting that even though this is Cale, our Cale isn't Cale?" Eruhaben summarizes calmly, though in his mind he is screaming that Mila's theory seems to be right even if a bit off the mark.

"Not particularly."

One can hear a pin drop.

"Huh?" Eruhaben says dumbly.

"Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that he is Cale from the future?" Deruth cuts in, eyeing the shocked eyes of his son in pensiveness.

"So many Cales," someone deadpans dryly.

"I'm not from the future," Cale replies sharply. "Don't make weird suggestions about me!"

On nods sagely though nobody is sure if she nods because she is agreeing with Cale or if she nods to Deruth's question. "It can't be that Cale is some kind of transmigrator. Because if he was, why would he know about the Henituse family? And his ancient powers are here, too. It isn't possible to transfer ancient powers except when the previous user dies."

They all think about the White Star and the Mercenary Guild Library.

Eruhaben rubs his forehead, suddenly appearing 100 years older than before. It is true that Cale has his ancient powers although weakened; meaning that he couldn't possibly be another person without having killed their Cale and at the same time stealing the powers. "But they aren't alike at all," he protests, weakly.

And that is true, too. Eighteen-years-old Cale and twenty-one-year-old Cale aren't alike at all.

"Young master Cale might have lost his future memories and therefore reverted back to his teen self," Ron suggests with a benign smile that can almost be called threatening. "Meeting Choi Han differently means he planned to change the future; I'd wager."

"Then why restore Harris Village?"

"I hate that place!" Cale hisses loudly when numerous eyes land on him. "I wouldn't restore it and let some unknown people just occupy it! So, stop theorizing!"

"I'm sure he became more mature," Choi Han says blandly. Or rather, Kim Rok Soo who now lives as Cale Henituse has no reason to not use his resources to further their force, he thought.

"You–!"

"And even if he did it because of some pragmatic reason," On cuts in, to mute Cale's increasingly creative insults towards Choi Han, "to prevent the war, Cale grew up rich. He loves money so much. Isn't it.." she trails off.

Deruth frowns slightly. "It was an unexpected change, but I'm sure the war–"

"Don't try to rationalize his sudden love for money and his tendency to loot his enemies," Cage deadpans. "Because I thought it was weird for the richest young master in the Empire to love money so much!"

"It.. is unusual." Deruth winces in resignation.

Cale huffs and crosses his arms in mock pensiveness. "Good. Fine. We fucking established that I'm me and that maybe future me is crazy, possibility not me at all or just went mad. I don't care. Are we finished? 'Cuz I'm fucking finished with this horseshit."

On isn't finished, however. There is still one point she hasn't mentioned and left for the end.

"It would work out if one is a transmigrator and one is a regressor."