CHAPTER 16

On Wednesday afternoon, I just finished my meeting with Professor Tanaka at Tokyo University to discuss my research plans when I started studying there. Professor Tanaka was very supportive of the idea that I explained to him even he supported my dream of wanting to volunteer in a war prone country or a country that needs volunteers to help, at least once in my life I have to experience that.

If I'm being honest, there's a big difference when Yuki approached me from now when we decided to be friends. The man didn't contact me very intensely, usually once a week or 3 times a month. As for me, I often send messages to encourage him, without him knowing I know enough about his schedule because I have followed many fanpages on Twitter. I'm still a huge fan of the number 14 man.

During the 2 months after deciding to be friends, I actually searched a lot for Yuki's old videos and when I watched I knew how hard Yuki had struggled from the start to achieve this kind of success. His dream of becoming a world athlete has come true and he really deserves it. Some of the videos I watched show Yuki who was having a hard time in his first year living in Italy, when he was still in high school and was seen crying like a child at times. Azumi is right, Yuki needs someone who can rely on him this time, and during that time I feel happy if he makes me his support even though this time we are just friends.

I also remember what that guy said before a few days ago even though we were just friends actually behind our friendship, he was trying to be a decent person for me, so... if I don't try to be a decent person for him too, I feel like I'm very selfish and mean .

In the afternoon, I did make an appointment with Yuki to meet. I told him to pick me up at Chuo campus because I happened to have just finished meeting Professor Takahashi. I was also surprised when the man wanted to meet me even though I knew in a few days he would be busy with the Asian tournament match which fortunately was held in Tokyo.

From a distance, I saw Yuki getting out of his car. The man was wearing a white hoodie jacket from the Japanese brand, Dascente, which used Yuki as the model. In fact, the man almost every day uses products from descente, he is very loyal to the product.

It's not that crowded on campus in the afternoon, and we don't have to hide our meeting because we're just friends, I thought.

"Good afternoon" I said chuckling awkwardly seeing him sitting next to me "Why do you suddenly want to meet me?" I asked.

Yuki laughed lightly at my question "I might be considered arrogant if I didn't meet you after a week of not contacting you"

"Calm down.. I'm not a protective friend" I replied then handed him the sandwich I bought before I came to campus. Happily, Yuki accepted my gift and immediately ate it with a big bite. "Haven't eaten yet?" I asked.

"Not yet. I just finished from a meeting with the coach" he answered

"Why haven't you eaten yet? People like you need to eat a lot."

"Someone like me?" he asked laughing.

I nodded "Because you are an athlete"

"By the way, aren't you interested in working out with me?" he asked with a playful smile.

"Not interested. Ahhhh .. not my expertise in sports. Even when I was in school, my sports grades were terrible."

"What about volleyball?" he asked again.

"Receiving a serve, I'm already scared" I answered then he laughed "Okay, I promise you to take you to exercise" he said making me look up and shake my head "You should be grateful to have a friend an athlete like me and offer to teach you to play volleyball" he continued.