Heiress

Author's Note:

This story occurs after Regina made the announcement at Snow White and Prince Charming's wedding that she would destroy everyone's happiness. This is my take on how Regina would react to the news of Snow's pregnancy. 

In the third 'point of view' change of this chapter, I introduce Rainy's daughter, Adeline. If you've read Chapter 27 of City of Starlight, you might notice that Adeline makes an appearance. (Rainy was a servant who worked in the Mills Manor before Regina became Queen. I mention her in 'Imprisoned - Part I' of Regina and Daniella Short Stories but she is also an actual character from the official book, Regina Rising.) 

BTW, I created a new Instagram account where I'll post fanfic related doodles like the drawing I attached to this chapter. Feel free to follow me on twilxght_meadows!

...........................................

(Daniella's POV) Eight months prior to the curse...

I scrunched up my face in concentration as I looked down at the mirror in my hands. I've successfully performed the spell before but for some reason, it wasn't working out for me today. Mother placed one hand on my shoulder. "Focus, Firefly. Imagine that your hair colour has changed and concentrate on that thought alone."

I grimaced as I tried to do as she said but was still unsuccessful in changing my hair colour. After a few more seconds of trying, I dropped my hold on my magic and let my shoulders slump. "It's not working," I mumbled in defeat. 

I was afraid that I would be told off upon hearing mother's sigh but instead, she took the mirror gently from my hands and said, "You're probably just draining yourself with the amount of energy you're exerting. I've told you before that this spell is difficult to learn and according to Rumple, it took your grandmother months to learn it. I'm sure she was more experienced in the dark arts by the time."

"How long did it take you again, mama?" I inquired. As mother set the mirror down on her vanity, she replied with a smug smile, "A month." Then, she added with a wink, "It might even take you a matter of weeks as long as you keep trying each day."

I was about to tell her that she was just being hopeful when a cloud of maroon coloured smoke suddenly appeared in the middle of the room. As it dispersed to reveal the Dark One, mother moved to stand in front of me. She used her hand to place me to one side. Although I had gotten used to the scaly man's presence, he still unnerved me. 

Mother gritted out between her teeth, "Rumplestiltskin, to what do I owe the displeasure?"

He ignored mother's comment and pointed a finger in my direction whilst remarking with an interested expression in his sly smile, "You're teaching her the disguise spell. How is that going?"

Before I could reply, mother snapped, "None of your business. Why are you here?"

With a wink in my direction that made me swallow a little, he lamented, "Fine then. I was just trying to have a little civil conversation with Her Royal Highness. Well then, since you ask, I thought I'd come and lift your spirits."

"The last time you came to do that, you notified me that the two idiots were getting married. What now?"

The Dark One paced the room and drawled out in great suspense, "Ah yes, then you made the grand announcement that you would take away everyone's happiness. Haven't I already told you how to collect the ingredients needed for the Dark Curse? What's holding you back, Dearie?"

Mother inhaled sharply in sync with her tightened grip on my shoulder. I shrugged her off but she didn't seem to pay too much attention to the gesture as she warned, "If you're going to waste my time, you may as well leave."