Chapter 44- The Last Dance

Calem POV

Eyes are open. I checked the clock, sure enough, it's time to get up. The most fateful showdown of my lifetime. A chance at redemption I never thought I'd have. I sat up in my bed. I rubbed my eyes as I mulled over the plan for today in my head, just then Serena sat up in her bed as well, her morning hair all over the place. I felt an overwhelming wave of gratitude for her. I looked over to her, "Good morning Serena, you look great today." She smiled tiredly, "Hah. Thanks." I got up and did some stretching, before going into the bathroom and getting changed for the day ahead, I zipped up my blue jacket and looked at myself in the mirror. I took a deep breath then sat on my bed and waited for Serena to get ready.

Elio POV

Lillie and I finished getting ready, then we made our way to the lobby to get some breakfast. It's incredible! They have so much to eat here. I gawked at it and Lillie smiled happily, "That's a lot of options... Let's take a look." We made our way around the breakfast selections and made our plates before sitting down at a table. We began to eat (The food is very delicious by the way, I'm having a hard time containing myself) and Lillie peered at me across the table, "Hey Elio, there's something I don't quite get." I looked at her, "What's that?" She frowned, "You were taunted mercilessly yesterday for something you aren't really even involved in... How did you manage to ignore them so well?" I smiled, "I learned that from you actually... Well sort of." I paused to collect my thoughts, "Really, it boils down to, I don't really care what they think about me. I only care about the people who actually know me. When we had our argument I learned how much deeper it cuts when someone you care about is mad at you. It really made me realize that the rest is all trivial." Lillie smiled sweetly, "Well that's nice of you to say. I get it now..." I looked over and saw Brendan and May grabbing their breakfast, I motioned to them to sit by us and they did moments later. Brendan sat by me and asked, "So, today's the day huh. You ready?" I nodded, "Yup. And you?" He smiled, "Always." We then finished our meal together and headed out for the stadium.

On the way there with May and Brendan and Lillie, I linked up with Selene. We talked for a bit about how excited we were to go today. We stopped outside the stadium and I saw an all too familiar face, "Mama!" I yelled as I ran towards my mother. She turned back and smiled, "There's my Elio!" We shared a hug and she craned her neck over my shoulder, "Selene!" She then broke the hug with me and hugged Selene. I scratched my head, "I'm guessing you got the tickets from the school too?" Mom nodded, "Yes! Any opportunity to watch my son and daughter on this kind of stage won't go to waste!" I laughed, "Well I'm really glad you made it." She chuckled, "Well, the match starts in about 45, so I'm gonna make sure I can get my seat." She kissed my forehead, then Selene's, "You guys are gonna win it! I just know! Good luck!" She walked off, then Selene looked stunned. I patted her on the back, "You get used to it." She shook her head and chuckled, then we headed with Brendan into the locker room.

Calem POV

I stood in the locker room. I was the first one here, as I wanted to be. I placed my things there and then went over what I wanted to say in my head. I need to speak to the team one last time before this. Serena gave me a kiss on the cheek, "I'm going to go get my seat, you got this." I smiled, "Alright. Thanks." She smiled back and then walked off to go find her seat. Just then, the rest of the team arrived almost at once. They all sat down and sat in silence. There was so much nervous energy in the room. I noticed that Ethan was on one knee in the corner. He looked really nervous. I knelt by him, "Hey Ethan. You alright?" He took a deep breath, "Yeah... I'm just... this is everything I have ever wanted. My heart is gonna come out of my chest..." I grabbed his shoulder, "Calm down. This isn't any different from any other battle. We go in, we take care of business. We calm our nerves and that puts us one step ahead already." He looked to me and took another deep breath, "OK. I'll try. Thanks." I nodded then walked up front of the team and went to clap my hands, but the whole team already looked to me expectantly. I smirked, "Heh. Guess you guys already know the drill... you know I always want to say something before the big one." They all laughed quietly then refocused on me, I smiled, "Welp. This is it. The last dance. We've been through it all. The amount of lows and highs we've been through is enough for any one lifetime..." The team nodded as I grouped my thoughts, "... And that's why I'm so proud to be the captain of this team. It has always been, and it will always be the greatest honor I have ever received. I... I know a lot of us come from broken families, from places of hurt where it seems like nobody has our backs, but, personally, over this year I feel as though I have a new family. A band of brothers and sisters who truly care for each other, and want nothing but the best for each other. A group of people willing to put others above themselves." The team nodded, I smiled, "and I don't know about you guys, but I'd take this roster over the so-called best over on the other side, they might have raw talent sure, but we have something much deeper. Something much better. And I know we can show it today." I sighed, "So this is my final charge to you. Leave it all out there, battle so hard that there will be no regrets for the rest of our lives!" I raised my voice and yelled, "... Our dreams are right there! All we have to do is catch them! And run over anyone in our way! SO LET'S GO!!!" The team jumped up and yelled, I chuckled, I think I've got them fired up, now let's get out there and do this thing.