three

"Hey Pope can you get this dumbass away from the pizza's, I don't want anyone ingesting herpes-" she slapped away the blonde boys hand as Pope steered him away by his shoulders.
Kiara placed a beer down in front of the blonde girl, sharing a small smile.
"Seen your mom recently?"
Céleste's lips twitched in a manner that could be seen as her fighting a frown, she shook her head, "fuck that, the woman's crazy, like actually crazy."
"Isn't she worried about you?"
A sarcastic laugh escaped her lips, "worried about her reputation? Yeah. Me? Not a chance, she hates me Kie, that's not even exaggerating- hated me since I was little."
"I wish my mom cared less about me, she just, it's like she's suffocating me you know? All this pressure to be a kook. I just want to be happy."
The timer went off.
"Hey, guys? Pizza."
"What about your dad? Has he been in contact at all?"
Céleste shrugged, "not since I was four. Let's eat yeah?"
The two girls followed the boys outside, and sat at the end of the dock, watching as the sun sunk below the clouds.
"The sky's so pretty, like, I feel like photos never do it justice."
Kiara nodded in agreement, "Cèl?"
The blonde hummed in acknowledgement, rolling a spliff.
"When school starts up, will you go?"
Shaking her head, she let out a sigh, "I might go travelling instead. I wanna see the world, surf every ocean, you know? As much as my mom wants me to, I'm never going to be someone who works hard all their life just to be richer than everyone else, I want my life to mean something."
This time it was Pope's turn to sigh, "you could go so far, you know, if you wanted to. You have the brains for a full ride scholarship."
Céleste was clever, as clever as Pope, or perhaps even more so.
"Yeah, but I don't want to spend half my life in school just to spend the rest of it working, I'd rather live life on the edge, settle with the scraps, and live a little."
JJ nodded in agreement, "see that's what I'm talking about."
Bringing the spliff to her lips, Céleste closed her eyes. She couldn't explain the fear of becoming like her mother, and solely living for peoples opinions.
Handing it to JJ, she stripped to her bikini and dived into the sea, letting the cold water surround her.
She lived for the water, that's why the outerbanks were so perfect for her. She was a ferry ride away from her mom, and a few steps away from the beach.
She had a place of her own, on the cut, a few blocks down from John B's, that she had saved for since she was ten. It wasn't much, barely had room for a bed, let alone anything else, but it was hers.
After a minute of being submerged, she resurfaced, a grin plastered on her face- especially once she saw JJ sliding in.
They allowed themselves to float next to each other , as the others had their own conversation, and whilst they let the weed kick in.
"Your plan for the future is a good one, even if Pope can't handle a future that doesn't give in to societal norms."
"What thesaurus did u read that out of?"
He splashed her, forcing Céleste to release the giggle she was holding back.
"Girls dig it, no?"
She shrugged, "you should come with me, you've been practically living with me and JB, coming around the world with me isn't much further."
"Maybe I will."
They shared a smile, and lay back, listening to Kiara and Pope bickering.
"Hey, Cèl, your moms calling."
The girl groaned and swam to the dock where John B was holding out a hand to pull her back in.
"Hi mom-"
"My ferry comes to port in the next hour, I'm staying in the summer house for a while."
"Mom, I'm busy-"
"No, you are coming home now, it's an emergency don't give me that. I'll see you in the house when I get there."
Her face dropped.
"Okay, see you in a bit."
Discreetly wiping her eyes, Céleste sighed.
"See you in a bit?"
"Yeah, what do you mean-"
"Just leave it," she stood up, gathering her things, "I'll see you."
JJ pulled himself out of the water, and joined the group of confused faces, "time frame? Ill see you soon, in a day, a week?"
"I'll be back when she decides I can, you know how it goes."
To many grumbles, she climbed on her bike and cycled off.