two

CHAPTER TWO

MEMORIES

THE WATSON HOUSEHOLD WAS QUIET. Having wealthy parents meant that Myra Jean was lucky enough to live in a huge house. The only issue with having such a large home, was that it was often left empty. After Myra Jean, Dr Jack Watson and Dr Melissa Watson never had more children. They tried, but Myra Jean was a miracle baby herself- they tried for 6 years before Melissa became pregnant. She was their darling girl, blessed with the bright red hair of her mother and the gemstone-like eyes of her father.

The kitchen was still clean from Myra Jean's wash down that morning meaning her father still wasn't home from work. She checks the clock hanging on the wall and see's its 6:30pm. She'd hung around after school with Warren and another girl called Mia, doing homework and chatting about the newspaper. Myra Jean had hoped that after spending a few extra hours out the house, she'd feel better entering an empty home. It made her feel worse.

Myra Jean opens the fridge and grabs the bowl of pasta she'd left in there from the night before. She heats it in the microwave before carrying the bowl and her bag upstairs to her room. Memories of her mother are decorated on her pinboard- photos of her from college days, photos of her holding baby Myra Jean, a wedding photo of Melissa and Jack. Myra Jean smiles softly, sitting down at the desk below the pinboard. The memories of her mother were all over the house, photo frames on shelves and gallery walls in the landings. It was nice, but also felt a bit like a ghost was always watching Myra Jean. Perhaps she was, in some way, watching over her daughter.

Myra Jean's phone chimes and she takes it out, seeing that Warren has sent her a photo of an email. She opens it, Warren had gotten an internship at the Daily Bugle, for the sports department. Myra Jean's heart sinks. She too had applied for an internship at the Daily Bugle, but she hadn't had any response.

She opens her laptop and finds her emails- nothing. Not even an email to let her down gently. She felt like screaming, crying and throwing up all at once. Journalism was her passion. It was who she wanted to be. She wanted to help people get the information they wanted in a good format with amazing writing. Warren had the chance, but she didn't. She slams her laptop closed and abandons the half eaten bowl of pasta for her bed. Myra Jean lays flat on her stomach and cuddles the t-rex stuffy she'd had since she was 5. Her phone beeps again and she glances it at it, Warren again, asking if she'd heard back. Myra Jean flicks her phone to silent and leaves it on her nightstand. Warren had already ruined her day earlier with his obnoxious comments about Peter Parker, now he was living her dream!

Awful, awful, awful.

The following morning, Myra Jean wakes early after a nice long sleep. She cleans up the leftover pasta, dumping it in the bin and then washing the bowl out. She congratulations Warren on his internship with a frown on her face. Then she heads back upstairs, knocking on the door of her father's room. There's no response, no noise at all. She turns the doorknob and steps inside. He's not here. He must have slept at the office...again. Myra Jean makes the bed, smoothing the sheets and plumping the pillows. She collects some dirty t-shirts and jeans from the floor and carries them down to the laundry room. Her phone beeps, she checks it. Mia has asked Myra Jean when she'll be interviewing Gwen Stacy about star student of the month. Myra Jean groans, throwing the clothes in the wash basket for later.