Chapter 2

I stared into the fireplace and watched the flames dance across the wood. I was mesmerized by its magnificent red-orange-yellow radiance. It's strange what may trigger a recalling of memories. It could be a scent, fragrance, or location. Something as simple as the intensity of red, orange, and yellow flames.

I remember sitting on a rug near the fireplace. A young man's arms wrapped around me, and I felt safe and cherished by this stranger. Who is this stranger? I couldn't recall the young man's name, but I recognized his face, touch, and the gorgeous green eyes that stared into mine. It was young love! My first love! I gave a sigh! I would have done anything to find out if he had survived. The image slips away, revealing a new one.

I can see myself staring down over the side of the ship. Below the beautiful, crystal-clear blue waters the closer we got to land. There's a change; the water is now turning a murky blueish color. Looking up at the clouds, I could see a storm coming. The closer I got to home, the more the clouds were no longer white but dark gray.

I could feel a slight breeze blowing through my hair. I could still remember the smell of saltwater in the air. I took a deep breath and tried to savor the moment. I had just captained my first ship, and I was proud of myself! I couldn't wait to share it with my dad.

as the ship reaches the dock. I gathered my belongings and stepped off the boat. It was nice to be home! I had happened to be greeted by my best friend, Monty. After so many months apart, I had so much to tell her! All about my adventures! Even pirates are real.

as Monty approaches me. I noticed she wasn't her usual happy, perky self. Something was different. I realize something is wrong. Little did I know my world was about to change.

Somebody softly shakes me. I opened my eyes and realized it was all a dream. I open my eyes up to see Paul standing over me; he says to me that dinner has been cooked and walks back into the kitchen. It takes me almost a minute to wake up. Finally, I got up and went to the kitchen.

"Dinner isn't much Sorry."

Paul had done his best with what little he had. I acknowledged and sat down across from him, but I had no idea how the world I knew had changed. I have no idea about the supply of food shortages or how serious it was. I thanked him again for the dinner and a place to stay. I enjoyed the creamy soup with potatoes and carrots. It's been a while since I had a warm, home-cooked meal. I honestly could not recall the last time I had one.

" Can I ask you a question?"

Paul looks up at me. as I continue to play with my food. I am curious to know how much time has passed.

What year is it? I asked.

Paul looked at me strangely and replied, "You most likely hit your head in the fire. You don't remember? The year is 2021."

Under my breath, I whisper, "That's not possible!"

Paul looks at me as if I were crazy, but before I can even explain myself, he pauses and looks towards the back door. The back door opens and in walks a young woman in her early 20s; she has long brown hair and is about the same height as me. We were both surprised to see each other. It's nice to know there's another human other than Paul and me.

Her eyes never left mine. She pulls out her sword. She is in fight mode. I am, too! Understandably, I am in her home, sitting at her table. Maybe Paul is her lover, for all I know. He stands up and steps in between us.

Paul explains, "I found her wandering the woods by herself. She needed help."

I notice her shoulders relax a little, and she puts her sword away. What did she need a sword for anyway? If Paul was right about the town being empty, what would she need to protect herself from?