Recharge

Freddy didn't know why Gregory's cries only got louder and more frantic in the recharge station, as he didn't see that familiar rabbit that had been after Gregory. He didn't see the knife in her hands.

Freddy rushed back to his green room and tried his best to remove Gregory from his stomach hatch as gently as possible, not wanting to startle the boy anymore. The boy continued to let out quiet sobs, still trying to hide his vulnerability even in his regressed state.

It was such a horrible sight for Freddy. He hated when children were sad or scared, though he saw it often. He always wanted to do everything in his power to console a crying child.

"Gregory, can you hear me?" Freddy asked. The boy looked up and nodded, though his breathing was still erratic and tears were pouring down his face. "Great. Listen carefully. We are going to do a breathing exercise, okay? I need you to breathe in." Gregory sniffled, but he complied. Freddy had Gregory breathe in for 4 seconds, hold his breath for 7, and exhale for 8.

It took a few minutes for his breathing to become stable, but the technique eventually forced his heart rate to slow, and soon that fear began to wash away. Slowly, the fuzz in his mind started to dissipate. Gregory wasn't quite feeling "normal" again, but he was no longer regressed. Truth be told, this wasn't Gregory's first regression, and even while this particular experience was terrifying, it always pained the boy to be big again. How often he wished he could be a kid again - before everything had happened to him. The reality of his situation always stung - that he wasn't a baby anymore, he didn't have parents anymore, and he was homeless with no one to love him.

He sat there with his head in his knees until Freddy finally spoke, "Gregory, how old are you feeling?"

Words could not describe how much Gregory hated that question, but he had to put that sassy persona back on. "I'm 13. What kind of question is that?" He tried to deflect his true emotions, but a hint of vulnerability still showed, "Wh-what happened to me?"

“I believe what you experienced is called regression. Regression, in your case, is reverting to a younger state of mind. It mainly happens as a defense mechanism to trauma or high-stress situations. You must have been very frightened by my friends… I hated seeing you in such a state, but it doesn't seem unusual given your situation. I’m sorry I could not reach you, Gregory. I won’t let it happen again. I will try my best to help and take care of you...”

Of course, Gregory knew what it was, he just didn't know a name for it, but he still didn't want to accept that this was what happened to him. Freddy's attempt to be comforting was of no help either. Gregory couldn't have anyone care for him again. He knew it would just end up in him getting hurt. He didn't know if animatronics could die, but seeing how Bonnie isn't a part of the show anymore, he couldn't be sure.

"I don't need you to take care of me… I'm strong enough to be on my own."

"You can still be strong and accept help," Freddy patted his back, but his words fell on deaf ears. Gregory just wanted to get away from this conversation. He wanted to run like he always did when he felt threatened. He wanted to run back to his makeshift home hidden in the Pizzaplex.

It was far from what one would call a home, but it had everything Gregory needed: his teddy bear, Bubba, stolen food and water, and a stolen sleeping bag.

Would Freddy try to follow him if he ran? What would happen if he found out Gregory had been living here? But he knew he couldn't run yet, what if the others found him and tried to kill him? Gregory needed a way to defend himself.

"Freddy, do you guys have any weaknesses? Like what kind of weapons would work on you guys?" Gregory didn't even consider how his words would come across.

"Weapons? There are no weapons allowed in the building, and I would not like for you to hurt my friends, but... bright lights in the eyes cause us to briefly malfunction. I suppose a Faz Cam or a Fazerblaster would work. You can win a Fazerblaster in Fazer Blast, and Faz Cams are often confiscated in Monty Golf, but you will need a party pass to open one of those attractions. Chica normally gives those out for birthdays. You may find one in her green room. We can go look together if you'd like."

Of course, Freddy wasn't going to let him go alone, but Gregory supposed it was a good idea to have Freddy's protection, he would just need to be careful not to get too attached.

_______

Thanks for reading! I'm so glad people liked the first part! Sorry updates are so slow and short right now.