Chapter 5: The Decepticon Empress

Dust settled over the ruins of Heathrow Airport as Orion's team evacuated on freightliners back to their base in Nevada. The Autobots were losing, and the UK was lost in the servos of the Decepticons; something Orion regrettably had to admit. Not that there would have been any point staying: radiation levels above safety limits meant nothing else lived here anyway. No rescue attempts either, unless you counted people making a second run through carrying hazmat suits inside plastic bags or maybe just wearing half-masked VR goggles.

As the Normandy members in the back of one freighter slept off their severe jetlag, battle exhaustion and damage received on the battlefield, Orion's private comms activated when receiving a call from Garrus.

"Old friend", Orion greeted him wearily, "I had hoped you and Tali could have assisted us in our struggle against the Decepticons, but given the circumstances, we are forced to retreat to our base."

The Turian warrior produced a sound that resembled a very long "Uhhhhh...", and Orion listened to the alien's report on the rescue mission which had taken a slightly wayward turn. 

"...and now we're sitting at the precinct after three hours of interrogations by the New York police, we've run out of dextro-amino based rations so we're pretty much starving, and they forced Tali to remove her mask so she's going to get sick."

"It seems you should get back to the Normandy then", Orion stated with concern. "I recall the ship is docked at the space center in Austin, Texas."

"Yeah, the Normandy has dextro-amino meals stocked – even Turian chocolate cakes, can you imagine? – and Tali absolutely needs to see Dr. Chakwas soon."

"I see. I will inform Marissa Faireborn to get you out of there as she recognizes you as a valuable ally. Sadly she does not think the same about me."

"Orion don't be too hard on yourself", Garrus comforted the Autobot. "It seems to me the humans simply weren't prepared at all. I saw the news..."

Orion's downtrodden expression in the freighter caught the attention of Samara who sat down next to him in a lotus pose, looking into the distance.

"The United Kingdom has fallen", Orion grunted.

"You blame yourself", the justicar pointed out, still not looking at the Autobot. "I read about a prophecy once pertaining to the so-called Saros Cycles. According to this prophecy, the first and the last rulers of this realm they call the United Kingdom are called or possess the name 'Arthur'. The last one..."

"It was his second name", Orion admitted. "So, you think it was... destiny?"

Now the Asari turned and looked up into his azure optics.

"No one could explain why the Saros Cycles would end in him. Now we know."

"The Decepticons?" Orion groaned, disheveled.

Samara's face was blank. She had found an ancient text predicting all these events - including how humanity is going to unite for its final stand against their mutual enemies as well as naming names: Optimus Prime will lead them out on their ultimate battle.

"It might seem so, yes. But I believe this is not the whole truth about why the Saros Cycles end in a specific name", the Asari justicar explained.

Orion now gave Samara a very inquisitive look. "The Illusive Man made all this terror possible, is that what you are referring to?"

"Is Gale not merely a puppet?" Samara asked him, her head tilted.

Orion's optics narrowed when he thought about his daughter.