Part 2

They take a brush wet with pigment and paint a wobbly heart onto a side of the letter that was blank only a moment ago. The heart has the same character as their own art hanging around the faded, brown and white striped walls of the room. Their house is very old, older than they had ever chosen to think about.

They place the letter on their desk and lean down, moving their hands through the forest of crumpled, ink-stained paper that is peppered across the floor. They see what they're looking for, and pick it up, sliding the response inside. They take hot, red wax, and stamp a heart into it, the envelope now sealed, matching the other symbol on the letter they'd soon be sending to their friend. They've always been fond of heart symbols, they've looked for love many times themself, but... You know. Stuff happens.

They stand and open the door, walking out, the familiar creak of the floors not comforting them anymore. Their bare feet crunch against the fall leaves, the wind knocking more down, and before they can acknowledge the leaves, and sticks in their hair they reach their mailbox, and open it, placing the letter inside.

Shortly they are back in their home, leaning on the edge of their desk glancing at their closet. They had an outfit in mind, but it did involve their shirt. They don't have any others like one they are wearing, but it's now out of commission, the ink stain making it one for goodwill. They find an outfit shortly after they start looking, and as they place the components of it on their desk, they glance at the clock. 11:28.

Trying not to violently curse to themselves, Emory quickly put the rest of their outfit on, corset, having a hard time tying it themselves, but managing to, brown striped trousers, tall black boots and all. Taking an overcoat from their coat rack, putting it on as they look through their many drawers, searching for something. They see an old art project of theirs, a brown mask with gold accents, marks of pencil still on it from when it was created, the paint chipping revealing a black base. It still is rather pretty. They put it on and sprint out the door.