03

When Camilo first told you about the gift ceremony (the night you arrived), you'd assumed it'd take a while to set everything up; between decorations, food, and whatever else, so you were pretty surprised to see the entire Madrigal family rather relaxed, and chilling at the market.

At the house however (Mirabel told you later it was called 'casita'), ruled pure chaos. Even though they seemed to be doing pretty well thanks to their gifts (Isabela for example, was calmly having a very long discussion with Dolores, not once looking away from her, and yet perfectly creating flowers all around her), the family seemed quite stirred up.

"I'm sorry you have to see us like this on your first day here" Felix, Pepa's husband, had apologised for his wife "She's just a little bit stressed, nothing else."

"Yeah, no need to apologise" you said rather surprised. Why were you able to speak so easily with these people? That was something you'd been wondering a lot. Even though it was literally one sentence you had said (which normally was very impossible), and you'd been there for just a day, it felt all so easy.

"It needs to be perfect!" You then heard Pepa practically yelling in the background.

"Just a little bit" awkwardly smiled Felix "Just a little bit stressed. If you excuse me for a second"  he added, seeing as her storm grew and grew.

You nodded quickly, not wanting to get in the way, as the friendly man disappeared. Where was Mirabel? Camilo? Somebody you'd talked to for over two minutes?

"Y/N?" A familiar voice luckily called a minute later.

"José" you sighed in relief "¿¡Donde te habías metido?! It's been years..."

Your brother sarcastically smiled. "Yeah, yeah... I was with Mirabel. She was showing me around the place. Have you seen Claudia?"

"Nope" you muttered, then changed the subject: "I feel so bad, I want to help"

"Then help" José answered, smiling accomplished and looking at you as if you were stupid: "Giving simple solutions since always"

"Yeah, yeah" you mocked him rolling your eyes "They won't let me"

"What?"

"Well, I tried to go help, but they just won't let me"

José looked confused as you "Since when are you so nice?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, whenever you need to help at home, you've got that look on your eyes.... Like you're going to commit suicide"

"Aha" you smiled sarcastically "because it's so fun to joke about that"

"Eh" José shrugged in his usual openly depressed way "I still don't get it... why so eager to help?"

"Brother" you paused "we are guests. These people are offering three practical strangers food, house and everything for free."

"Continue"

"You don't think we should help?!" You asked incredulous at him "You—you're stupid. Bye"

"Goodbye"

Your brother sometimes was just so infuriating. So not caringly annoying.

"Come on, Y/N" José muttered "You know what, I'll help!" He walked towards abuela "How may I help?"

"A rainbow!" you heard Pepa's happy yell from far away "I made a rainbow!"

You couldn't help but smile for the woman. Even though she was about fifty years old, her behaviour seemed rather the one of a teenager or child at the same time.

"Oh, that's nice of you!" The woman smiled immediately "Please hang this banner, since you're so tall. Camilo!" She called "We need another José!"

The curly haired boy appeared next to them a few seconds, and casually shifted into him.

"Woah" you heard José gasp behind you quietly. The chaos kept revolving.

"I'll be back in a second" Camilo grinned at you, quickly bowed in front of your brother after shifting back and left.

"What was that?!"

"He can shapeshift" you obviously stated "Didn't you know? I thought Mirabel showed you around."

"Clearly not well enough"

-aesthetic time skip-

"So... how does this whole ceremony thing go?" You asked after a few moments of staring at the landscape  "It's happening soon, isn't it?"

"Hmm" Camilo nodded. "As soon as it gets dark. It happens at midnight, and people start arriving around an hour before. Then there's music and like, welcoming stuff. Five minutes before midnight Antonio has to walk down a corridor and up the stairs in this fancy weird suit I wore at mine, and he goes up to abuela and the candle, then like, promises to use his gift for good and to protect the city or so." He shrugged "I don't really remember"

Since you were excluded from helping, and you had nothing better to do, he'd decided to bring you up to the roof to chill.

"This whole magic thing is so cool" you sighed "At my home the most interesting thing we have are random football stars"

"I thought tango is very common in Argentina?"

"Eh" you shrugged now "It's more of an attraction for tourists, since our place isn't surrounded by mountains. There are actually not that many people who dance it."

Camilo looked at you for a few seconds as you looked away flustered. "What?"

"Do you know how to?"

"What?"

"Dance tango"

"Well, yeah—"

"Perfecto! So, tell you what hermosa, let's make a bet." He stood up. Dear god, the way his curls jumped up as he stood up! He truly was mesmerising.

"A bet? Sure. About...?"

"Antonio's gift. What do you think he might get?"

"No sé" you simply smiled awkwardly "I've been here for a day and still haven't even talked to him?"

"Just say something"

"Emm... telekinesis?" You suggested "I don't know about gifts"

He smirked "Alright, and I say something with animals." He paused "If you're right— what do you want?"

"I don't know...?"

"Great. So, nothing for you if you win, but if I'm right, you'll dance tango with me later"

You bit your lip. "So I get nothing or I have to teach you how to dance?"

"Pretty much"

"Fine. But only if it's not surrounded by people. I'm very shy" you awkwardly explained "I used to mess up all dances or performances because of my nervousness."

He thought about it for a second, "As you wish, princess"

"Don't call me that" you said blushing.

"Perdón, reina"