"Killua! It's time for school!" His eyes brightened. "Coming father!" he grabbed his backpack and slipped on his shoes, then put in his beads and opened his first vivarium. 'C'mon Gon, it's time for school!" He said, pulling out the snake he'd gotten on his birthday and slipping it into his pocket. Killua never went anywhere without him, if he did he'd cry until he was given permission. His father had allowed him to take his prized pet to school only if he kept it in his pocket. Well, at least until he was older and could keep a closer eye on him. It was his first day of kindergarten, his two older siblings were homeschooled but they decided to send the younger ones to a regular school and see how it went.

He quickly grabbed 3 large crickets, 3 small rats, and a salamander from his mini prey storage for his snakes and set an opaque white container about 12 inches by 20 inches. He lifted out copper, a small corn snake and set her in the container. "One for copper" He said, smiling as he dropped the live rat in. He grabbed the other 4 and set them out, the snakes couldn't escape and Gotoh knew which snake went into which vivarium, he had three because they had grown a bit too big to be in one. After that he lifted out a black and white California Kingsnake and set it down in the black container. "One for Oreo" He said, dropping another one of the live rats in.

He ignored the squeal as Copper caught hers, then moved his third snake into the pink feeding container. She was an orange and white Rosy boa, with the distinctive pink scaled underbelly. "One for Rose" He said, dropping the third rat. Killua then turned picked up his brown and black ball python, setting it into the brown container. "Noah's turn" He dropped the crickets in without touching them, before lifting his burmese python out of the last vivarium, she was a beautiful yellow and white patterned snake. "And Sundrop!" He set it in the yellow container with a salamander, before rushing out the door. "Kil!" His father shouted. "Sorry! I had to feed them!"

His father sighed, "That's why I told you to wake up early so you'd have time" He said sternly. Killua followed him out the door, then got in the back of his father's car. They had fancier cars, but they had to bring him to school with a normal less expensive one for some reason. It didn't matter all that much to Killua though, he was excited. Killua hadn't known anyone around his age except for his younger siblings, this was all new to him. He giggled and played with Gon for a bit, rubbing his head and letting him crawl along his hands. "Now Kil, what are the rules about school?"

Killua sighed. "No taking Gon out until it's recess" He recited, having been told the same thing about 20 times. His father nodded. "Good boy. Now, go have fun" He said, before pressing a button and making the door open. Killua slipped Gon into his pocket, then grabbed his backpack. "Bye father! See you later!"

Killua smiled at everyone as he walked by, eyes bright. He blinked at a person with brown colored skin. Woah, skin can be that color? I've only ever seen people with pale skin before. Maybe it was common and he didn't know, Killua never really got out of the house much. As he thought that, he saw more and more people with darker skin tones, not just one but all sorts of shades. Kinda like how some snakes are the same breed but have slightly different colors. He thought.

School was fun, he was itching to take Gon out but he knew he couldn't yet. "Alright class, since today is just an introduction we'll be doing an activity" His teacher said, her name was Ms. Shena. She smiled. "You'll come up to the front one by one and say your name, then draw your favorite animal in your favorite color marker. If you know anything about that animal you can share with the class." Some of the kids chattered but Killua stayed silent, thinking. Color? Do I have a favorite color? He thought some more. I like orange and green, can I pick two? Gon has those colors, their pretty!

Gon was his favorite snake, he'd play with him more than his others. Killua kind of zoned out for a bit, until a brown skinned girl with black hair walked up and drew on the board. Killua blinked, it looked like a purple line. "My names Canary, I like snakes!" Killua's eyes shimmered. Ah! Me too! Maybe we can be friends! She smiled shyly, a few of the other kids frowned and muttered to each other which made her dim a little. "Snakes are scary, why do you like them?" One kid muttered, Killua scowled. Snakes are the only good animal! Your dumb. He frowned as he heard more than half the class start whispering about it. "now now kids, just because someone's favorite animal isn't...as appealing as most, doesn't mean it's not a good animal" Ms. Shena said.

Not appealing? What does appealing mean? Although the way she said it, made it sound like it meant 'as good'. That's not true! Killua glanced over at Canary as she sat down, eyes downcast. Don't listen to them...His name didn't get called until very last, the last names were in alphabetical order and his started with Z. "Alright, last one" Ms. Shena said, smiling at Killua. He nodded, walking up to the front and starting to draw. He did more than just a line, shading it in with green and orange and adding eyes. When he turned back around, he saw Canary's eyes brighten a little. "I'm Killua, I like snakes too!" he said, smiling at her.

"Alright you can go sit down no-" Killua frowned, "You said I could share 'bout snakes though..." Ms. Shena blinked. "Oh, that's right" he beamed, then started talking. He talked for a full 6 minutes before the teacher decided to stop him. "Killua...that's enough" she said, putting a hand on his shoulder. "But I'm not done yet-" She smiled at the rest of the class. "it's time for recess!" The kids cheered, then ran out the door. Killua sighed, and Ms. Shena knelt down in front of him. "You seem to know a lot about snakes Killua" she said, with a slightly impressed note in her tone.

Killua nodded. "yeah! I have some, father bought me some for my birthday few weeks go!" Her eyes widened slightly. "Really?" Killua nodded, then unzipped his pocket and let Gon crawl into his cupped hands. He held him out with a smile and Ms. Shena gasped. "His names Gon!" Ms. Shena winced. "Killua, you're not allowed to bring pets to school" He frowned. "But...father said I could, but only take him out at recess" She sighed. "I'll need to speak with your father, do you know your last name?" he nodded. "I think, Zo...yick?" She froze. "Zoldyck?" Killua nodded, putting Gon away. "Mhm!" She gulped, then smiled. "Y-You...you can go to recess Killua, just don't take him out otherwise alright?" He nodded, then waved on his way out the door. "Bye!"

1227 words

To be continued...