The Princess and the Parade

The sultan paced uneasily "Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear what am I going to do I'm not getting any younger and the kingdom needs a sultan if only you were still alive Aaliyah you could speak to her give her your wisdom." He spoke to the painting of his late wife trying to think if she had shared any of her knowledge on how to raise a young woman then he stopped and smiled Mina hadn't known her mother like Aaliyah, Farah had died shortly after childbirth, but Aaliyah had helped raise Mina till the girl was eleven years old due to her fertility issues. Indeed if Aaliyah had imparted any words of womanly wisdom it would have been to Mina. He smiled at the portrait "Mina might be able to help and it's all thanks to you my sweet woman Mina was a gift to us for this very reason all thanks to Farah and Jafar I might be able to get through to Jasmine on this marriage thing." Ibrahim, the sultan, practically skipped to the stables knowing the recently arrived Mina would still be there caring for her mounts.

  As Ibrahim entered the stables, Mina's head jerked up and around like a startled horse. Usually, no one would be in the stables till the sun rose not even the stable hands woke so early. She gulped and bowed "Your majesty what brings you here so early in the morning?" 

  Ibrahim smiled "Don't bow Mina you know I don't like formalities, especially this early, I came here in hopes that I might talk to you on a rather pressing matter regarding princess Jasmine"

  Mina looked up in shock she hadn't thought she'd get a chance to tell him about that day's later parade before it happened but here it was practically given to her on a silver platter alone with the sultan and no one to hear save for the horses, donkeys, mules, and camels. She smiled at him "I've news as well that might please you and the princess alike news on a suitor who seems more than adequate for her." She crossed her fingers thinking 'Aladin don't make a liar out of me.'

  Ibrahim's light copper eyes flew open "You found a suitor she might like are you sure this isn't a jest right?!" He asked his heart was pounding he hoped to any diety with a kind listening ear that his prayers were answered as the woman nodded. "When is he to arrive I want a room and a hot bath drawn for him and the best food we can make"

  Mina would have laughed the old man was so excited it was infectious "He is to arrive this afternoon you'll know he's here when the parade music starts sire" She explained "He may seem wealthy but he is kind and humble, most likely he'll be smitten with the princess as soon as he lays eyes on her"

  The sultan was so overcome with joy he almost forgot why he was there in the first place he turned the twenty-seven-year-old concern in his eyes "What if she rejects this one as well if she does  who will have her she'll become an old maid and with her being my only child it will cause havoc I'll have no heir and the kingdom, oh Mina does jasmine not know her responsibility isn't to chose a husband alone it's to chose the next sultan if doesn't people will be in an uproar uncertain of who makes and keeps the law strong" He bit his lip "If she doesn't choose I'll have to choose for her and I really don't want to do that to her but if I must I will, I was wondering if Aaliyah mentioned anything about a princess's duty to the kingdom and her father would you be willing to talk to her impart her mother's words to her?"

  Mina was stunned never thinking the sultan would ever ask her for help regarding his own child "She mentioned a woman's duties to her father and household but very little was said about being a princess much of what she told me is useless given I'm well technically speaking an old maid I failed in my duty to find a proper husband and birth male heirs for him and my father" 

  She looked at the floor shamefaced and Ibrahim almost regretted his request knowing some unmarried women felt shame at their inability to fulfill their duties to their fathers but he also felt this was a shame that Agraba asked so much of its female populace and gave so little in return instead the women were shamed if they stepped one toe out of line he had done his best to change some laws to give his women more equality but he couldn't change them all. Any monarch who wished to see his grandchildren was careful of what laws he changed one law he couldn't budge without angering the conservative nobles into revolt was the one that stated women can't inherit unless the head of their family says otherwise.