Ch. 44 The Good Bye

"They're coming! Thirty feet!" Calem shouted.

  "Are you ready?" I asked Korrina.

   She looked frightened but nodded.

   I looked at Clemont. I could also see the fear in his eyes. In spite of my own fear, I wanted to comfort him. "At least we probably won't feel anything," I said.

  "We won't," he said stoically. "Water-gel explosives can reach temperatures upward of thirty-five hundred degrees Fahrenheit in point zero, zero, two seconds. We'll be incinerated before our brains can register pain."

  "That's good to know," I said. I put my hand on his shoulder. "At least we're here together. I'm glad for that."

  "Me too," Clemont said. "But all things being equal, I'd rather be clogging."

   In spite of my fear I grinned. He smiled back at me. I took a deep breath, then turned back to Serena. Her eyes were filled with tears. She took my hand and said, "Do you know what I hate the most about this?"

  "Dying?" I said.

  "I mean besides that." She wiped a tear from her cheek. "I hate that my parents will never know what happened to me."

  "Raihan will tell them," I said. "He promised me he would."

  "Good," she said sadly. She took a deep breath, then looked deeply into my eyes. "I know we're only fifteen, and just kids, but I just want you to know that . . . I would have married you."

   I put my hand on her cheek. "I would have asked."

  "Twenty feet!" Calem shouted.

   She softly sighed, putting her cheek up against mine. "Why aren't you ticking?"

  "I don't know. Maybe because there's nothing to worry about anymore."

   Across from us Korrina said to Clemont, "You need to move away from me. I'm going to get really hot."

  "It doesn't matter," Clemont said. "I'm going to die anyway."

  "It will hurt," she said.

  "Just for a few seconds," he replied.

  "Fifteen feet!" Calem shouted. Then he said, "We're coming, Drew."

   I pulled Serena into me.

  "Ten feet!" Calem shouted. "Blow it!"

   Korrina took a deep breath, then said to Clemont, "Good-bye." Then she closed her eyes and her skin began to turn red.

   Serena and I embraced each other tightly. "I'm so scared," she said.

  "I've got you," I said.

  "I love you, Ash."

   That's when we heard the explosion.

387
A/N Thanks ShreeJita23 for reading and voting on all three book last week. It was nice seeing your interest