A Ring And Some Tears

Tim met Gretchen in his parents anniversary party. She was exactly the kind of person a man like him would have ended up with in the first place. They got along really well and so did their families. Eventuality the first meeting turned into three dates which later turned into a month of calls, messages and a few kisses. Tim did not know how to tell any of this to Henry. But he was just not ready to be a gay man anymore. He was almost sure 6 months ago but that night took away his courage.

Henry deserved better. Tim knew that and he knew he was not the one for him. But he did not know what Henry was planning for them for their next weekend together.

While Tim was thinking it ways to let Tim off the hook gently, Henry was packing his bags and a little box that could fit into the silk lined pockets of his coat. The little box with a beautiful ring that had something written inside it.

- I am yours since the day we met -

Henry packed the ring closest to his chest before boarding his private jet. He booked a luxury villa with an ocean view and made sure they had the flowers and the champagne that Tim loved. He even made sure he arrived half a day before Tim so he could personally get things ready.

When Tim arrived the next morning, they went snorkeling and had the best lunch in a little shack on the beach. He was not recognized and approached by too many people there so they genuinely got to enjoy their day together. Deep down he knew his fans were giving him the privacy he needed and he really appreciated that.

Later that night as they snuggled in bed after dinner to watch the game, Henry was way too nervous to do anything other than internally panic. All he could think of was Tim rejecting him. He had no idea which team won so he charged the topic when Tim tried to discuss the game.

The next morning was special. He was going to propose. He prepared a bubble bath and Tim's favorite ambient music playing in the background. They talked about their work, their future and bathed in each other's warmth. He even got them matching monogrammed bathrobes.

Henry was trying to steady his nerves when Tim said "I found my one". And then there was a pause. A pause that made Henry want to jump back into the ocean. A pause that filled him with hope and fear at the same time.

"I found the perfect girl to marry" Tim said with a big smile on his face. And then he proceeded to tell Henry all about how they met during his parents anniversary party. He went on and on about how they love the same things and how she understood him and accepted him the way he was and how she was willing to let him continue this thing he has with Henry if they want to.

Henry was shocked but he tried to listen to the man go on and on about someone he met a month ago. Someone he had no idea existed until that moment. Henry was aching inside in ways he could never express in words. He loved Tim. So he wanted him to be happy. He congratulate him and made up an excuse about some work emergency. Tim quickly got dressed and asked Henry to join him for lunch if he liked. Henry nodded and watched the love of his life walk out of the door.

And then he sat there, with the ring still in his hand, the perfect shape looking out of place among the imperfect lines in his palm. He beat all the odds and became successful but he could not beat the odds for love.

After a good cry and getting dressed in what he hoped was going to be his first outfit as an engaged man, he called his manager to cancel all his coming out plans on their social media and the press briefing that was about to be set for next month. They had planned a creative way to ease people into the news but sadly he did not need it anymore. He packed away the ring back into it's box, fondly looking at it for one last time. He knew he would never open that box again.

As he walked down the hallway leading to the restaurant, he steadied his nerves one last time. Tim deserve to be happy even if he was not ready to come out yet. It was not Henry's decision to make. So he walked over to their table and peacefully had lunch. He knew it was the last time they were having lunch together.

The night went by quickly as they packed up for an early morning return. Things slowed got back into the usual routine once they were back at work. But their video calls were not as frequent anymore. Them trying to meet was pretty much non existent. Henry knew Tim was moving on so slowly over the next one month he started to distance himself from Tim. Eventuality he was reduced to a friend. A friend who was invited to the wedding.