Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A wonder fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. -Charles Dickens

My desk was covered with an assortment of Christmas themed objects and cards. These animate objects remained the fruitful haul of my pleasantries exchanged a fortnight before. So far I had totaled 3 Santa hats, 7 holiday cookies, 9 store pamphlets, and 12 holiday cards wishing me and my significant other a very Merry Christmas. 

Yesterday, Tomus and I had gone to all the stores. 

Alone, today, I watched the street sweepers wash away the lingering remnants of yesterday as I gazed upon the sun as it rose from behind the mountains.

The icy wind stung my cheeks as I swung a leg over the cushioned seat of the snowmobile. 

Today was Christmas Eve Day. 

Tomorrow night Lily will be hosting her annual Christmas party with music and dancing, with food and beverage, and the entire family I have never met. The grand foyer will have Christmas decorations even more magnificent than town square. There will be a fire in the hearth and joy in all hearts- I hope. 

The engine roared to life as I sped up the hill homewards bound. 

I slid to a halt, preparatory to sprinting with snow covered boots into the foyer. The ice on my boots squeaked against the hardwood as I slipped along the corridor to the kitchen. 

“Here, we’ll have the tree and here the Antipasto with the 1998 Castello di Ama Chianti Classico with the- oh hello Theia!” Lily smiled.

“Hey,” I said, taking off my coat.

“How was the ride honey? Did you stay warm enough?” Lily asked.

“I did.” I smiled. 

“Did you run into any neighbors?” Becky inquired. 

“I didn’t.” I spoke as a unlaced one boot and wiggled my toes in front of the warm oven. “The streets were deserted except for the sweepers. I suppose everyone’s sleeping late today so they can stay up tonight and watch for Santa.” I smiled.

Brian strode into the kitchen, “Will you be waiting up for Santa tonight Theia?”

“Only if you’ll help me stay awake.” 

Brian grinned at me and walked over to the bar were Lily sat. “Good morning, sweetheart,” he kissed Lily’s forehead. “Did you sleep well last night?”

A blush spread high across Lily’s cheekbones. “I slept very well,” she replied. 

“Glad to hear it darling,” Brian said, grabbing a biscuit from the hot pan. “I’ve got to run into town and grab some papers and tie up some shipping deals. I’ll be back soon.” He called over his shoulder.