Chapter Five

Chapter Five 

I fingered the necklace that sat on the hollow of my throat. My nerves prickled and the hair on my neck stood on end as Lizzy paced around the room. 

“I don’t understand! I just don’t understand!” Her voice shook hysterically as she physically trembled. “That could have been us Theia! That could have been us!” Her voice grew higher with every word.

I felt a numbness spread through my limbs. It wasn’t the numbness of a ghostly presence; it was different, unnerving. 

The presence of death was lingering. This wasn’t ‘a yank the tooth and it’s done’ situation. It seemed death was like a hovering vulture, waiting for... something. Ghosts hover but they don’t hover. 

Mrs. Anderson stood, “Elizabetta, darling. There is nothing you and Theia could have done.” She pulled her daughter into a hug. “I’m just so glad it wasn’t you two.” 

Lily encircled her arms around me. “Are you okay Theia?” She whispered in my ear. 

“Yeah just a little shaken, I guess.” I whispered back. “Did Lizzy know know the shop keeper personally?”

“I’m not sure. I know she was very fond of the store though.” We sat on the bench together. Lily hugging me tight to her side. 

Lily’s actions where loving and motherly, but her body was tight and ridged. It was like she was waiting for someone to make the wrong move to she could jump to protect me. I didn’t like it when she was edgy; it made me nervous. 

“I think we should head home.” I said addressing everyone in the small waiting area inside the police office. “It’s been a long day.”

That morning after Lizzy and I had left the antiques store we road through town. Lizzy showed me the library before we went over to the cafe (where I first met Claire) and spent the afternoon drinking hot chocolate and reading through the smaller library there.     Later the police found us there and asked us to come over for questioning.

Both Lizzy and I were frightened. Even though the police officer hadn’t said a word more about what he was summoning us for I knew she was dead. From the window I could see the antiques store. A blanket of cold blackness coated the building like a cloak. 

Invisible to the world, but a beacon on a stormy night to me. 

I felt a substantial pull to the place like there was something I needed to do there, or someone needed me. It was unlike anything I’ve ever felt before. My insides twisted and it felt like part of me needed to escape and that part of me was the very part that the wanted to go when the blackness called. 

Lily stood as if reading my thoughts. “I think we should all go and get some food and then I think a good rest will do us all some good.”

“You’re right.” Mrs. Anderson stood. “The boys will be worried by now.” Mrs. Anderson spoke once more. “I was going to suggest everyone getting together for dinner, but this is hardly the appropriate time. Maybe in a few days after this is all settled you all can come over.” She came over and hugged Lily and I before walking out with a tearful, scared Lizzy.