christmas

formerly posted in descriptive boldness xx

"Because its Christmas!" I say excitedly, jumping up and down with my hands intertwined with his, "And Christmas is the best in the world!". The look he gave me was a curious one, eagerly pushing me on to expand on my statements.

"The lights! And the smells! And all the children in little woolly mittens and wellie boots and coats soon to be replaced by Santa himself!" I pause to catch my breath, by now letting go of his hands and twirling in ecstasy.

"And the random snow storms that stop traffic to a stand still and the brown slushy mixture which covers the roads! Oh! And the constant singing of Christmas songs you havent heard of in a year! Don't you see baby? Christmas is amazing!" I turn to face him, only then, realising that his gaze has been fixated on me, while his face holds a smile.

I slowly walk to him with my hands outstretched waiting for his to join. My voice above a whisper. "And the hot chocolate you get from costa which you drink in the abandoned bus stops down the high street, and the cloud of white your breath makes when you breathe out the frosty air. I don't just like the presents baby, Christmas itself is best part of my year." I breathe out slowly, quietly, exhausted from my prior actions.

Curled into his arms we sit facing the fire, his thumb pacing back and forth on my thigh, while his other hand strokes my hair.

"Id never thought of it like that before." he says, realisation eminent in his voice.

"Christmas with you is going to be very special." And with his final word, the darkness consumes me and sleep corrupts my conscience in his grasp.

~eris~ xx