Chapter 1: Help

It's a snowy day in Hell's Kitchen, I've had interviews in and out of every Law-firm to exist, rejected by most of them which was expected, but the ones that accepted me just didn't feel right, I don't feel like I fit in.

I'm sat in Hell's Kitchen Diner, warm coffee in hand, this is the most relaxed I've felt since I've moved to this hell hole. This diner isn't the nicest, the smell of grease and stale coffee, but I get to sit down and relax so it isn't all bad.

"Oh I'm so sorry, please don't mind me" I hear a voice next to me, it seems a blind man has knocked a cup of coffee over with his cane and the waitress is frantically trying to clean it up before her boss sees.

"Here let me help" I hook my arm around the mans arm and help him sit on a stool, before he falls over. "Thank you, you really didn't have to" he says calmly whilst wiping his suit down that has a splash of coffee on.

"No worries sir" I say with warmth in my voice. I sit back down on the stool I was once sat at, take the coffee mug in hand and take a sip. Since this man walked in this diner all I can feel is tension in the air, my cheeks are flushed red and my heart is racing a little faster than before. He un-clips his cane and places it on the coffee bar in-front of him.

My eyes are lingering on him for longer than anticipated, snap out of it Y/N. Ripping my eyes of this devilishly handsome man, I place the mug to my lips and take a sip of my coffee once more.

"I don't mean to pry but I noticed your accent, you're English?" The man asks. "Uhm yeah, I moved here a little over a year ago" a squeak leaves my mouth because he caught me off guard. "What brings you to a place like this?" He asks, elbow on the counter and head in hand facing my direction. "I needed to get out of my town back in England, it felt claustrophobic, and the law-firms there were awful"

"Law-firms? You're a lawyer?" He asks in some sort of shock. "Yeah I'm a defence attorney, why is that so shocking?" I laugh, "well I do happen to need an employee at my firm" he puts his hand out ready for me to shake, "hello I'm Matt Murdock, from Nelson and Murdock: attorneys at law" he says with a giant grin on his face.

Nelson and Murdock? Murdock... oh my god they are the defence attorneys that took on the Frank Castle case! He's THAT blind guy!

I take his hand in mine and shake, "you're Matt Murdock! I read the article about the Frank Castle case back in England, I'm a huge fan of your work!" I say energetically, I'm shaking his hand for a little bit too long but Matt doesn't seem phased at all. "I would have thought you'd be the opposite of a fan, after all me and Foggy didn't do too well in that case" he says with an upturned smile.

Letting go of his hand I reply "I'm amazed you guys took on that case, you don't ever see anyone brave enough to take on a case like that!"

"If you don't mind me asking, are you working anywhere at the moment?" He asks, "no I'm not, I've had a few interviews, I've been accepted for some but they just don't feel right" I look down at my mug making rings around the top with my finger.

"I know this doesn't seem much but we do need another secretary at our firm if you would like a job? Don't worry about an interview, my secretary Karen can train you" he says with a smile.

"Wait, wait wait, are you serious? You can do that for me?" My heart is racing, he wants me to work with him? "Well if you wanna start tomorrow that would be great. If you want my phone number I can text you the address" he starts pulling out his phone from his inner pocket. "I don't wanna be rude but how do you text if you can't see?" I say shamefully, damn I feel awful asking that now.

"Ahah don't worry, the settings are changed in my phone so it speaks to me, so for example if I would get a call from you it would repeat your name to me, and if I want to text I just click the microphone and speak into it" he explains waving his hands about, cute.

"Oh gosh I haven't even told you my name, I'm Y/N, Y/L/N. I can put my number in your phone if you'd like" I say with a smile.

"Sure" he hand me his phone, as I go to take it my fingers brush his knuckles, they aren't soft, they're rough, my breath has hitched and caught me off guard. For a second I freeze but then I continue put my number in his phone.

I glance up just for a second and see a smirk on his face, he seems so nervous yet so confident, what a mysterious man.

"Thank you so much Mr Murdock, you have no idea how thankful I am" I say going to shake his hand.

"Please, call me Matt" he smirks, for a moment we linger, tension is building. I shake myself out of my daze, place the money on the counter to pay for my coffee and just as I am about to leave "don't forget to text me Matt" I say slightly sarcastically. "Of course I won't, sweetheart" he says leaning on the coffee counter.

I leave the diner and let the cold air hit my face, sweetheart? What is this man doing to me.
I have a job now... I have a job with Matt Murdock.

Authors note:
Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy this chapter! I know it's a bit slow but it's just getting started ;) please let me know if you like it! I have a couple more drafts of this right now that I'm editing so if you want more just let me know :)