23 | Of Magic, Healers and Symbols

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Éowyn | Shieldmaiden of Rohan

Location: Meduseld, Edoras, Middle Earth, Arda

Time: November 2973 T.A

 - Ten Years Ago - 

A young girl tiptoed across the hall, the pattering of the rain hitting the wooden roof above her as it muted the creaky floorboards. Despite this, she remained barefoot, always alert for any sound of boots or muffles of soldiers even if her toes were numb and cold from the weather. She should have slipped on some socks at least, but the pair she liked were being washed by the maids.

Nevertheless, when she arrived at the door, she carefully pushed it with her might until she could peek through with her head. When she did, she could hear the hacking coughs and sniffs, causing her to move back as soon as she heard a voice.

"I know you are there."

Hitching a breath, she retracted away until the voice, low and yet smooth, called once more.

"There is nothing to be afraid of. You may come in, little one."

Perhaps it was her curiosity that made her follow their instruction.

Or it was what her father once said to her before he left to battle and died at the hand of orcs: that she was too enthralled by courage and seeing the unknown. The thrill of purpose. But she was young, she didn't yet understand it all even if her older brother always said she was to be protected. Not to go into such things as danger.

But she knew at this time, before her, she opened the door to find her mother's bedroom. And upon the bed laid her mother: her life waning, and her eyes not so bright as before.

However, the voice who called out to her wasn't her mother at all - but a man. Or was it an elf? Éowyn has heard so many tales about them, about Lothlorien and Mirkwood and how they had helped the Men of the North defeat the orcs. But what she loved to hear at her age was the tale of the light sorceress, how she had returned from the skies and brought light and aid at such dark times. How she defeated an army by just summoning light from the sun.

Her brother thought it was just a silly tale, only for children and for little girls to speak about. But it wasn't really a tale; there was once an elf maiden from the ancient lands of the west who helped the Men defeat the dark enemy: Sauron. That she too summoned light from the sun and burnt all their enemies in Mordor.

Those were the stories she adored, and why she felt that she was meeting one just like the sun lady. But instead of the sun, his eyes glowed like the moon, a melancholy beauty which his face showed along with the dark blue robes and brown gloves.

Éowyn walked closer, finding herself now running up to her mother's side whilst the person with the blue glowing eyes loomed over them. When she gazed down at her mother, even at the dim light, she saw how pale she looked. She wouldn't think someone should be this pale, especially her cracked lips and thinning blonde hair.

Her mother wavered a smile, whispering to her: "My child..." She coughed before she continued, "I do not think I will survive this."

She began to understand what her mother was saying, her heart aching as she shook her head. She clung to her mother's blanket, wavering, "No, mother." Éowyn spoke, "You are going to be alright. Ranyar can save you. He's saved so many lives." [1]