Chapter 30: There Is None

Since the day in the garden, Fresh has lowered his guard again. Enough for escape to be possible? No. Enough for Paperjam to at least be in the garden somewhat unsupervised? Yes.

The ink skeleton didn't mind it. He was also glad that with Fresh's guard lowered, he was going back to how he treated him before. The parasite would kiss him on the head or just hold him. Simple affections like that. PJ knew it was a form of reprogramming or brainwashing or whatever! Yet, he didn't care. He wanted those affections. He knew he couldn't escape anymore, so why should he fight?

Of course, this doesn't mean he was lifeless. He talked the best he could with Fresh, telling him what he had been doing in the couple of years he was gone. The parasite had also talked to him about that. Apparently Toriel was dead now, dead from old age as the cannibal said. Jam didn't completely believe him on that front, but he didn't say anything. He rather believe she died an old, happy woman with little regrets.

Fresh was very happy with the progress. He knew it wouldn't be long before the younger monster gave himself to Fresh willingly. He also knew that the other wouldn't attempt escape again. He could see it in their eyes and mannerisms. He still wasn't relaxing around him enough for the younger to have the possibility of escape. He wasn't about to be tricked again.

Suddenly, both Horror and Nightmare showed up, both of them bringing along their own normal monsters. The three of them had stared at each other before the two from Horror and Nightmare rushed to the young adult and hugged him. They spoke quickly as they assessed if there was any damage done to the younger.

"So, he's your family. Interesting." Nightmare hummed, laughing a little.

Horror grinned, giggling. Fresh noted that the two seemed more relaxed, calmer in a way. Horror also wasn't reeking of his own blood for once. He also looked stronger, oddly enough. Nightmare just seemed overall more relaxed, staring lazily ahead of him instead of looking like a predator ready to kill you in one swipe.

It wasn't long before the three "pets" were moved to the living room while the cannibals talked outside amongst themselves. Cross glared at what he could see of them, hating every second of this. He then turned to Lu and Paperjam, both of whom looked unhurt, though the former looked a little thinner.

"We have to get out of here." He murmured to them, keeping close to them so he wouldn't have to speak so loudly. He had found out that Nightmare had heightened sense of hearing, possibly due to the fact they only have one eye.

"But how? Horror's basically a bloodhound." Lu also kept his voice low, looking back at the door.

Jam shook his head, looking the most relaxed out of them. "They won't give you room. There's no backdoor and none of the windows open all the way upstairs." His tone, although as quiet as theirs, was calm and dead. "There is no room for escape or running away."

The two adults shook their heads. No! There had to be a way to escape to get back to home! They'll even move away from the damn forest this time! Do the thing they should've done in the first place! Yet, the younger monster didn't look convince.

"They won't give you an inch. They watched how I tricked Fresh; they won't let you do the same. For Horror, you're his little nurse, his helper. He won't allow you to poison or hurt him in any form." Jam looked to Lu, who winced. The boy then looked to Cross, who frowned deeply. "To Nightmare, you're his pet, something to keep him company. Something to teach new tricks to and play with. For Fresh..." He lowered his head, eyes lightly glistening. "I'm his lover... You guys might become the others' lovers as well. You won't want to be leave them. Eventually..." He sighed some.

The adults felt their hope of escape dwindle. Or had it never been there, and they were just playing with themselves? That could also be a possibility. An annoying one at that.

"It's better to give up now and just... Enjoy what affection they give you."