Chapter 2

It was just a normal day in Luigi's life, a day like any other. He was at the coffee shop, brewing coffee and smiling at customers as usual. He did what he was supposed to, wiping counters, sorting cups, checking the coffee machines... and then he closed the shop.

It was a weird feeling, seeing he usually wasn't the one to close the shop for the night. But, he did as he was told. As the sky turned dark, Luigi got ready to get the keys and walk out of the shop, into the blinding city lights. Then...Mario was there.

Luigi just bent under the counter for a few seconds, but a few seconds was all it took. When Luigi looked up again, Mario was there in front of the counter, staring at him. Luigi jumped.

''Oh! Mario! I...I didn't know-''

''Why didn't you bring me my coffee you absolute piece of shit?'' Mario spat. His face was pure red, and his eyes were black with anger. Luigi swallowed and stepped back.  

''I'm so sorry, brother, I-''

''Oh sorry, are you? Sorry? Well, It's too late.'' he slammed his fist into the counter. ''I went the ENTIRE day without coffee. I bet I made a lot of people's day worse with my temper. And who's fault is that?''

Luigi straightened up a bit. ''Well...there are coffee machines at the studio...aren't there?''

Mario stared at him. ''Talking back, are you? You queer.'' he said, reaching for the newly brewed pot of coffee beside them. Luigi hadn't even noticed it before.

''It's...I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, I'll make you a coffee right away-'' he stammered, but Mario shook his head.

''It's too late, Luigi. It's too fucking late.'' And with that, he reached up and dumped the entire pot of scolding hot coffee over Luigi's head. 

The world was burning. Luigi's skin felt like it was melting, and his throat hurt when he screamed. A searing headache suddenly started up, pulsating from the inside of his skull and making him whimper, the coffee burning his now sensitive skin. He could hear Mario laughing as he crouched, whimpering and trying to get the coffee off of him.

Luigi sat up, blinking against the light that met him. He was panting and sweating, and at first he had no idea where he was. The dream had seemed so real that he was confused as to why he wasn't at the coffee shop. He grabbed his head, grimacing. The headache was real, at least. 

God...where was he?

He blinked, rubbing his eyes. He heard footsteps approaching and looked up, preparing to be met with the unstoppable rage of his brother. But, it wasn't his brother that turned up in the doorframe. It was the silhouette of someone bigger, much bigger...

Bowser. 

Right, Bowser. He was at Bowser's place. The coffee shop had been a dream, just a bad, horrible dream...

''Are you okay Luigi?'' Bowser asked in that dark voice of his. Luigi nearly shivered when he heard it.

''I...I just...woke up?'' he mumbled, still confused. Bowser creased his brows. 

''Did you dream something? You kind of...screamed?'' he said carefully. Luigi felt his cheeks flush.

''Oh. Haha...well uhm...no It's fine. It happens sometimes.'' he said, smiling at him.

Bowser crossed his arms, leaning against the doorframe. ''Uh huh.''

''Yeah. Uhm...I'm sorry if I...'' Luigi's eyes widened. ''Oh lord I didn't wake the kids did I? I'm soo sorry if I did!''

Bowser quickly shook his head. ''No. If you would've woken them up that would be a favour. I have to physically pull them out of bed most mornings.'' 

Luigi breathed out, nodding but wincing as his head ached.