Interference and Acquaintance

I ran away only to be blocked by the guards shielding our town.

"Where are you going to miss?" - said one of the guards

"Excuse me, how is that supposed to be any of YOUR business?" - I snapped

"Oh, it most certainly IS our business considering that you are the daughter of the great Warrion Andrew Mekus" - said the guard

"Ah right, father" - I said

"Now, would you mind telling us where you were off to?"

I pulled the guard by the collar, close enough to whisper and said - "To runaway"

The guard stepped back, startled by what I said. It gave me a stupid satisfaction.

"And you think we are sleeping beauties here, allowing you to run away?"

"Oh, I would be a fool to think that, considering that you are trained by my father." - I said

"Then why are we having this conversation, miss? Retrace your steps back to your house."

"How about some negotiations on this?" - I ask showing him a bag of money

"How about you don't corrupt us and go back?"

"Please, you have to understand my situation."

This time the guard had it with me, "One, I know not which situation you speak of. Two, if by any chance or I should say WHEN your father gets to know that I let you out, there's no way he'll let me live. And I am 110% sure that it won't take him long to figure that out. So no, I won't understand your situation and you are not going anywhere but to your loving parents. END OF DISCUSSION! GO!"

His tone was dismissive, and after fighting down my self-ego, I had to admit that there was no point in discussing it any further unless I wanted him to drag me home with a gun pointed right at my temple. On my way back, I realized how stupid all this was. Running away from home as if father won't just release his entire army just to look for me. Besides, where would have I gone? On top of that, I tried to NEGOTIATE with a soldier who was trained by my father, whose first thought, step, word was HONESTY. It was all ridiculous. A great father with a corrupt person for a daughter. Still, no part of me was ready to admit that the guard had to be so mean for all this.

"END OF DISCUSSION! GO!"- I mimicked him under my breath

With all this going on in my head, it was only when I reached the front step, did I realize I was home. My legs were so trustworthy, at least more than my wisdom. When I entered, I found that mom wasn't alone. We had a guest – a guy, probably my age, with blonde hair and blue eyes, broad shoulders, high cheekbones, long lashes – and then it hit me, I was STARING at him. On this realization, I quickly averted my eyes and gave a wide, bright smile, as if I hadn't just dealt with shit today. Mum replied in a similar fashion but not as bright. I took a glance at the guy, and found that he was still staring at me with curiosity written right across his forehead, and a bit of suspicion. In that split second, it felt like I had known him all along. Who was he? That time I was sure that I was going crazy. Hence, instead of staring at him, I rushed to my room. I was halfway there, when I heard a shriek, apparently a manly shriek. I rushed back to the hall and found my mother on the floor, the guy standing open mouthed with hands raised up in defense. I almost choked on a laugh. He looked at me with bulged out eyes as if asking 'How can you laugh at such a thing?'

At last I broke the silence and said, "What? She's not dead"

At that his eyes sympathized, expecting me to break down at any moment.

"I know it's hard to tak–"

"I am serious" - I interrupted "She's an oracle and is having one of her visions"

"But aren't they suppos–"

"I know, I know" -I interrupted again "She's rare"

He put his hands down and walked over to me, "We need to talk"

"Beg your pardon?"

"We need. To talk" - he repeated

When I didn't respond, he let out a sigh and continued, "Look, I know you are a sin"

"Why am I not surprised!? Wait, BECAUSE apparently the whole world knows that."

"I didn't mean that. When you came, you were staring at me. Don't even try to counter, because I know you were" –he added on looking at my open mouth ready to protest– "Nonetheless, that's not the point, the point is, that even you felt something, a tinge of familiarity. I don't know what it is but I do know something."

AMAZING! I haven't gotten over one stupid connection and there's already one lining up. Note to self: stop staring at someone for longer than necessary.

"Can you be a bit more specific about that 'something'?"

"Before I tell you that, how long before Mrs. Mekus wakes up?"

"Probably five minutes from now."

"Good."