What if Heather was a Haddock? Part 1

Set during Have Dragon Will Travel. Requested by njis01

***

"Windshear, finish it!" Heather growled as she held her battleaxe against Dagur's throat.

"No, Heather, don't!" Astrid halted. "You promised us a capture mission."

"Sorry, Astrid. I changed my mind." She mentioned. "Dagur didn't capture my village. So this ends here." Dagur let out a deranged cackle.

"If you kill me, Heather, you'll never know-" He was cut off as Heather placed a small bag into his mouth.

"Save it for the gods." She scowled. "Windshear!"

"Stop!" Hiccup shrieked as he hopped off of his dragon, using a rope to swing across the ship. "Heather, stop." He halted her only to have her brush him off.

"Move, Hiccup." She glared.

"You don't understand."

"You promised me there would be another time, and this is it!" She declared.

"Look." Hiccup pulled Heather's horn out of his saddlebag. "You told me your father gave you this."

"He did, but..." She thought. "What are you doing?"

"This is my father's, Chief Seal." He blurted, barely allowing her to finish.

"Stoick's seal is carved in my horn?" She furrowed her brow curiously as she took the horn. "What are you saying?

"I'm saying years ago, Stoick gave this horn, as a gift for his newborn daughter." Hiccup explained. "You were that newborn, Heather. Stoick the Vast is your father. And he is also my father. And the necklace. You said it belonged to your mother..."

"Yeah, but-"

"My mother's betrothal gift was a necklace with an intertwining dragon and Viking carving and her initials carved on the back."

"No." Heather shook her head in disbelief.

"Heather, you're a Berkian." He informed her. "You can't kill him. It's part of the treaty. Any attempt on the Berserker chief's life is punishable by death."

"You're-"

"Yeah," Hiccup confirmed. "You're my big sister."

***

"Hiccup, wait!" Heather called as they flew towards Berk. Toothless halted and spun around to see Heather staring blankly at the island below. "I don't think I can do this."

"What is it?" Hiccup wondered as Toothless flew closer to the Razorwhip Heather was riding. "What's the matter?"

"I just- I'm nervous."

"Heather, you've stayed on Berk before." He reminded.

"I know." She agreed. "But, it's different this time."

"Heather. You'll be fine." He insisted.

***

Weeks had passed and the riders had returned to the Edge.

"I still can't believe he didn't say anything when you washed up on Berk," Fishlegs mentioned as they all gathered in the clubhouse for dinner.

"He didn't know it was her." Hiccup explained. "Mildew sent her adrift because he refused to allow a girl to become chief. And all she had with her was the necklace and her horn."

"Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen you without that necklace," Astrid mentioned. "Until recently that is."

"I guess it just felt like home," Heather explained. "I spent my whole life wondering where I belong, and who I really was. But, I'm not wondering anymore." She smiled as Hiccup enveloped her in a familial hug."