Five

"I'm telling you, they lectured them unendingly. When I left, they were still talking." Sarah plopped down beside me on my porch swing. We were sitting in the sun room at my house watching the waves out in the distance.

"Sucks to be them right now." I said dryly. This was a conversation that I wasn't feeling at all.

"Yeah, I hope they talk them out of it. I'm telling you, that girl only wants my brother for one reason, and it's not love." Sarah huffed. "She like a leech, all she's gonna do is suck my brother dry."

I huffed. No one takes advantage of my guy. "I know right, you should have seen her today. It's like she wanted to buy every thing in every store."

"Yeah, and my brother's so blinded by "love" right now he probably would have done just that for her." She sipped on her pop while flipping through a Trig book. Only she would be studying right now.

"Well, everyone's true colors show sooner or later."

"Well it better be sooner then later or he's gonna end up making the biggest mistake of his life."

We fell quiet as we watched the waves crash against the shore peacefully. If only life could be like that, care free and peaceful, not a thing to worry about. Except, life wasn't like that. Life was like an angry tornado. Destroying everything and everyone in its path.

"What am I going to do Sarah?" I whimpered. My knight in shining armor had slipped right out of my grasp and into the arms of someone else. I would have been able to live with it if they were just dating, but they were engaged, as in soon to be tied to each other for eternity.

Sarah cut her eyes. "For the billionth time, forget about my idiot brother, there are plenty of guys out there who are more then willing to be your prince."

Yes, but did I want to be there princess? I had eyes to be the king's queen.

******

I was sitting on the sand listening to the gulls and children playing out in the distance. My part of the beach was just about empty.

I found it comforting to have some time on my own. Sarah was off at some lame book club meeting. Why did my best friend have to be such a contradiction? One moment we were having fun, the next, she was trying to shove a calculator down my throat.

"You don't know how exhausted I am right now." My head snapped up and I immediately began blushing when I saw the bare sculpted chest of none other than Hunter himself.

"What are you doing here?" My heart took off as he sat down beside me.

He sighed. "You're like the only person that isn't giving me a hard time right now. I've got Sarah being a bitch, both our parents down my throat, and Ellie complaining about everything and how today went."

I frowned. Things seemed pretty tough for him right now. How could I have been so selfish to only think about me and my feelings?

"I'm sorry." I said quietly.

He shook his head, a small smile on his lips. "Thankfully you have nothing to be sorry about. I think I would go insane if absolutely everyone I knew was in hot water with me."

I smiled a little. If only he knew, I could never, as in ever, be in hot water with him. It was impossible to stay mad at him.

"You've got a friend in me." I said quietly. I felt a little pang in my chest at that word.

He nudged me playfully. "Which is why you're my favorite."

I could feel the fire burning on my face. The littlest things he said made my heart soar.