Forty-nine

My bed jostled beneath me uncontrollably. I consistently tried to ignore it, but it was far to nagging. Why the heck was my whole room shaking?!

"Maggie! Come on get up!" My bed demanded.

"Stop." I said in a sleep ridden grumble.

"You're gonna be late if you don't wake your butt up."

I continued to ignore my bed, only hoping and praying that its wiggling would stop. I was slowly getting used to the shaking, allowing me to fall asleep again, that is until my comforter was ripped away from me, tossing me into the bitter brisk air of my bedroom.

"Noooo!" I cried. Shriveling up into a ball. "Go away!"

"Mary-Margaret Olivia Spivey!" My brain finally registered the voice of a highly annoyed Sarah.

I groaned as I pulled my pillow over my head. "Ugh."

"I suddenly remember why I refuse to let you sleep with me during the school year."

I sat forward a bit too quickly, giving myself a major head rush. "Crap. Why'd you remind me?" I said bitterly.

Today was officially the first day of school. A very well dressed and manicured Sarah stood in front of me with a huge smile on her face. She was entirely too happy for my liking this morning.

"Come o e, get up silly! We're seniors now!" She beamed.

I groaned and slowly peeled myself out of bed. She followed me towards her bathroom.

"So I save you the hassle of picking out your own outfit, I even laid out your makeup for you!" She chirped. Her giddy attitude was really getting in my nerves, so I didn't feel bad when I closed the door on her. Her colorful words drifting as I cut the shower water on.

Half an hour later I emerged to join the rest of the world in a simple pair of running shorts and a Nike shirt, pulling my still wet heir into a ponytail.

"What the heck? Are you going to school or out for a jog?" Sarah disapproved as I walked into the kitchen. Everyone else had started their day. Even Sarah's younger brother who had been A-wall all summer made an appearance. He looked just as bummed as I felt.

"Blah blah." I ignored her as Tammy sat down a bowl of oatmeal with fresh fruit and granola on top.

"That can't be what you're wearing."

"Oh but it is." I said dryly.

"But it's our first day as seniors!" She protested.

"Big whoop."

"Oh cheer up you big sour puss, you're raining on everyone's parade."

"Not everyone." Her younger brother sides with me. He was starting his first year of seventh grade, and dreading it.

"Maggie dear, she's right! This is your final year, aren't you excited?" Tammy out in.

"Well yeah, but...I just don't...want summer to be over." I pouted.

"Oh get over it, Hunter leaving is not the end of the world." Had her parents not been siting right there, I would have her the bird. Instead, she got the evil death stare.

As if in cue, Hunter came in from the back door. I could tell he'd just got back from a jog on the beach.

"Morning." He called out to everyone as he took out his earbuds.

"You're girlfriend is ruining my senior aura." Sarah stuck her tongue out.

"Don't worry, it'll wear off sooner then you think." Hunter laughed.