Chapter 6

"Prince Maroon!" Inferno gasped. "Is that you?"
The pale red dragon in the cage turned to the sound of his name. "Yeah, that's me! I... Inferno?" The Element of Fire nodded.

He studied the prince's form and realized he was scarcely thin. "Aquarius and I are here to rescue you." He bit the vines with his teeth, pulling as hard as he could. "Come on, you...! Stupid vines! Come on!"

Aquarius pulled up on her friend's side. "We found him!" She began to copy Inferno, trying to bite through the vines.
"They're too thick," Inferno sighed. "We can't bite through them."

He looked at his talon, then at the cage. "Your Majesty, lean as far back as you can." Maroon did as he was told and Inferno touched the vines, fire eating away at the plant a heartbeat later. Some dead vines fell from the cage, landing on the forest floor. "Now!" Prince Maroon shot forward through the gap in between the flames and into Inferno's open talons.

"It's ok..." the fire dragon breathed. "You're safe." He could feel Maroon trembling in his talons and held him close. "Who did this to you?"
"King Tapir's guards..." the prince answered.

The red male softly growled. "Your mother and father will make him pay..." His voice softened. "But for now, let's get you home." Inferno let the prince climb on his back and he turned to Appleseed. "Thanks."
"Not a problem," Appleseed replied. "Get him home safe."

Inferno and Aquarius flew off. Maroon glanced down at the monkeys and alligators below. "How long until we get to the border?" he asked.
Inferno glanced over his shoulder. "Not long," he answered. "Just try to relax."

"Did Mom and Dad miss me?"
"More than you know," Aquarius told him.
Inferno flicked his tail. "We're going to get you home, Your Majesty." Soon the clear liquid-like wall came into view. 'Thank Skywatcher,' he thought, happy to be out of the humid rainforest.

He and Aquarius flew through the border, the magic sending a cold chill down his spine. The air around him was immediately warm and sunny, not like the humid and muggy feeling in the Sapphire Kingdom. The fire dragon heard Maroon gasp in delight. In the distance he could see the Jade Castle surrounded by huts and houses. Feeling Maroon shift and spread his wings, he stopped and hovered.

Aquarius reached out her talon and he took it. "Are you going to try to fly?" she asked.
"Yeah." The prince flapped his pale red wings, still grasping the water dragon's talon. Inferno kept as still as possible. Prince Maroon rose into the sky a bit.

"There you go," Inferno said. He watched Maroon do a loop around and Aquarius slowly let go of his talon.
The prince laughed. "Mom, Dad, Dusk, here I come!" He took off toward the castle.

They slowed down and landed, folding their wings to their sides. The guards drew their swords, but stopped when they saw the prince, smiles growing on their faces.
"Your Majesties!" One of the guards rushed into the castle. "The prince has returned!"

Inferno felt a smile spread across his muzzle as he walked in and saw the king, queen, and princess embrace their family member.
"Where have you been?" King Axel demanded.
"Dad, King Dingo and Queen Cactus didn't take me. It was King Tapir," Prince Maroon announced.
"The Sapphire Kingdom?" Princess Dusk asked.

"We'll launch an attack right away!" roared the queen.
King Axel turned to Inferno and Aquarius, who were waiting for the royal family. "Thank you," the king breathed. "If there's anything we can do to repay you, just say it."
Inferno waved his talon. "That won't be necessary, Your Majesty."

The king dipped his head. "Very well. But please, take these emeralds as a way of saying 'thanks.'" Two dragons wheeled a cart full of shiney green emeralds to the Elements and both their mouths fell open.
"I... We..."

"Thank you for the gift." The fire and water dragons spun around to see Razorwing standing by the front door of the castle. The elderly dragon snapped his talons and the emeralds floated into the air. "Aquarius, Inferno, come." Inferno glanced at the royal family before walking out of the castle.

The emeralds, which Inferno guessed were around 2,000, followed above them.
"We have urgent matters to discuss."
Inferno glanced at Aquarius as they took off toward the cave. "Like what?"

★ ★ ★

Wind sang in his ears as the three glided down toward the cave. Blade and Tempest sat by the wall, eating sheep and watermelon.
Blade turned to them as they landed. "Hey, guys!"
Aquarius waved her talon. "Hi!"

Inferno stomped over to search through his satchel and pulled out a cherry. Holding it to his mouth, he blew flames at it, which roasted the fruit instantly. "So what's so urgant?" he asked, putting the treat into his mouth.
Razorwing unfolded his pure white wings, spreading them to their full length. "War is coming."