Chapter 12

Inferno woke up to dragons roaring and the flapping of wings. His heart raced as he looked around for the source of the commotion. His yellow eyes rested on a pale green dragon with a blue swirl pattern under his wings flying toward the Jade Castle with an army close behind. Inferno narrowed his eyes in fury. Prince Apple!

The prince of the Sapphire Kingdom was leading an army toward the Jade Castle and Inferno stood. He was about to take off when something caught his eye. A bluejay stood by a rock pecking at the ground. The dragon tilted his head and started toward the blue bird.

Inferno reached his talon to the bird but in the blink of an eye, it vanished. Inferno blinked and rubbed his eyes. What in the world? What happened? Inferno shook his head and unfolded his red wings.

The fire dragon soon landed at the cave entrance and gasped for air. "Guys...!"
Tempest looked up from feeding her pet falcon, Blade turned his attention from his book, and Spark eyed him. "What is it, Inferno?" the purple dragon asked.

Inferno took a moment to catch his breath then coughed. "Prince Apple!" he roared. "He's leading an army to the Jade Castle!"
Blade dropped his book. "What!?" Tempest's pet falcon flapped his grey wings in alarm.

Tempest snapped her jaws at her friend. "You scared Cloud!"
The dark green dragon gulped. "Sorry..."
Inferno hissed, the crackle of fire coming from his throat. "Guys!"

"We have to stop them!" Inferno turned and launched himself into the sky, the rest of the Elements following. The strong breeze blew against Inferno as he gazed at the pink, orange, and gold sky. He looked below him at the rolling green hills dotted with puffy white sheep and cows.

"Aqua, I want you to…" the fire dragon trailed off when he realized the pretty blue dragon wasn't with them. His heart twisted in sadness but he tried to focus. Inferno looked at his two friends. "Blade, help the Jade Kingdom guards. Tempest, help me with Prince Apple."

"What about me?" Spark spoke up. The yellow dragon glanced back at the mountain with a worried expression on her face.
She's worried about Ray, Inferno guessed. "Go back to the cave."

Tempest and Blade glanced at each other but said nothing. Inferno heard the fighting of the two armies up ahead and he glared. "Go." Spark looped around and flew away, not arguing. Inferno turned his attention forward, seeing the sunlight reflecting off the fighting dragons' armor.

A pale red dragon turned her attention to the Elements and gave a battle cry. Inferno drew breath and blew fire at the soldiers. Tempest roared and flapped her wings, sending a gust of wind toward the enemy soldiers. The Sapphire dragons took a minute to right themselves and used their bow and arrows, pulling back their ammo. Oh, teeth of a wolf! Inferno cursed, eyes widening.

The Elements dodged the arrows and the Jade Kingdom guards attacked the rival soldiers. A pale orange dragon clawed Inferno across the face, blood splattering the ground. The red dragon shrieked in agony and shot flames at his attacker. Inferno put a talon to his snout. He saw Blade tangle four soldiers in some vines.

Inferno looked to the Jade Castle and landed in front of the big double doors. He gripped the handle and heaved one of the doors open then slipped inside. I have to find Prince Apple! The fire dragon moved to the throne and looked at the main doors. Inferno heard a roar coming from the kitchen and he ran down the hall.

The male dragon caught himself on the wall, talons scraping the stone, and he watched in horror as the Sapphire Kingdom prince raised a kitchen knife above Princess Dusk. Inferno flung himself at Apple and the two grappled, roaring and biting. Inferno slashed his talons across Apple’s wing, red blood rolling down the prince’s pale green scales.

Inferno opened his mouth and blew fire at the Sapphire Kingdom prince. Prince Apple yowled in agony and ran out of the kitchen. Inferno snarled and turned around to survey the kitchen. Princess Dusk was crouched in the corner by the counter, her pale orange wings over her head. "Your Highness?" Inferno questioned.

The orange dragon looked at Inferno, her eyes wide with horror. Her wings trembled like a leaf in a storm and Inferno lowered his head. "Shh... It's ok. You're ok."
The princess wrapped her front talons and wings around him and Inferno carefully comforted her. "I... He..."

"Shh... I know..." Inferno scanned the messy kitchen and looked down at Princess Dusk. "Where are your parents?"
"Apple... He...! He...!" Dusk sobbed. "He killed them!"