Chapter 2- Annie Cresta!

I take Finn and Jack by the hand and help them sign in for the reaping,

“ Now you two go stand with the other 12 year olds.” I say pointing to a group of boys that are in their class.

“ Okay Annie, we will see you after the Reaping.” Finn says walking away with Jack.

They look scared as they leave my protective side, I have done everything to protect them haven’t I?

I refused to let the take out any tessere, in hopes that this would decrease their chances of getting picked.

But here we are; they could still get picked, they could still die.

I walk over to where the other 17 year olds are, my best friend Alice is standing there her face pale and blank.

Last year her brother was killed in the Hunger Games, she watched him die. I remember she cried for two weeks.

“ Hi Alice!” I say trying to sound cheerful but really what’s the point?

“ Hi Annie.” she replies closing her eyes

I imagine she is remembering the moment when they called her brothers name, she shock on face, the tears streaming down their mothers face.

There is a stage in front of our justice building, there are 4 chairs on the left of the stage, a microphone in the center, and on the right two glass balls filled with white slips of paper.

I stare at the slips knowing that 36 of them have Annie Cresta printed on them.

The doors leading into the Justice Building open, and out walks Mayor Johnson, an upbeat women from the capitol named Daisy Winterspring.

What odd names people in the capitol give their children.

Daisy is wearing a purple dress that has pink and silver dots on it. Her heels are hot pink and her bright blue hair is in a curly bob.

After Daisy,Mags and Finnick the district four mentors come out.

Finnick won the games just five years ago when he was 14. I remember that year because it was my first year participating in the reaping.

Mags is a older woman who has been a district four mentor for forever, I think she won the 15th Hunger Games or something.

Finnick gives the audience a dazzling smile, I can hear some girls give a squeal.

Finnick, with his golden skin, bronze hair, and sea green eyes, it was obvious to see why everyone loved him. I admit he is easy on the eyes but I have some suspicions that he has some secrets.

The Mayor walks over to the microphone and tells the same story about the rebellion 70 years ago and the creation of the Hunger Games.

Alice’s eyes are still closed as I reach for her hand and give it a tight squeeze. This must be so hard for her.

Daisy follows the mayor and says in that awful capitol accent

“ Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor! Now let's select our tributes for district four!”

Daisy trots over to the glass ball containing the girls names.

My hand tightens around Alice’s as a knot in my stomach forms.

Daisy’s hands floats over the names briefly before she plunges her hand into the sea of names.

Her hand comes out with a single slip of paper, as she walks over to the microphone all I can wish is that it’s not me, that’s it’s not me!

Clearly I didn’t wish hard enough because the name

“ Annie Cresta!” comes ringing out of Daisy’s mouth