Don't Say That Word

Malikah

Shopping with Jackie and Cam is interesting. Shopping with Cal is fun. Shopping without having to worry about not eating for the next month? Priceless.

"Are you sure?" I ask again, looking at the crowded buggy.

"Positive," Jackie says, throwing the dress into the cart. "It looks like it was made for you. Doesn't it, Cal?"

I look over to see a blush rising on his face, "Uh, yeah, I guess."

Cam reappears, arms laden with binders, paper, and a random assortment of other school supplies. He unceremoniously dumps them into the cart, "There. That should do it."

Jackie gives him a brilliant smile, and Cam grins, face flushing. I turn to see Cal staring, watching the interaction with utter confusion and bewilderment on his face.

I slink over to him and elbow his side, "What's up? Cam doesn't usually act that way with females?"

Cal shakes his head, still watching as Jackie holds up another dress and twirls. Cam's eyes grow tender, his smile indulgent. "Whatever you want, Jackie."

She squeals and throws her arms around his neck, giving him an affectionate kiss on the cheek.

I hear a sniffle and see Cal turning away, wiping his eyes. I immediately reach for his hand, "What's wrong?"

"I've never seen him like that," Cal whispers, "looking" through the jeans with his free hand. "Not with my mom, not with anybody."

I look over my shoulder, watching them again for a brief moment before "helping" Cal look at the jeans. "I'll admit, he doesn't seem like the same Cam."

"He's not," Cal agrees. "I'm not sure how to be around him anymore."

"Me either," I admit. Part of me is still waiting for the old Cam to leer at me and call me names, to threaten me in some way. New Cam is almost annoyingly respectful, probably because I'm waiting for him to throw it all down and announce that the past few weeks has all been an act.

"It's hard to believe somebody could change that fast."

I look at Cal, on the verge of agreeing with him, but I stop just short, staring at his gentle face, a face only a year ago I despised. "I don't think it's as uncommon as you think. At least not for your family."

He looks at me, and comprehension dawns on his face, "That's only because of Ginny—"

"You had a wakeup call," I correct. "You were shown what you had become, and you didn't like it. I think something similar happened to Cam when you were injured. You almost died, Cal," I say, voice breaking.

He immediately pulls me into his arms, pressing my head to his chest where I can hear his heart beating strong and sure. "I'm not going to die on you anytime soon, Malikah."

"Can't serve me if you're dead," I tease with a smile, bringing up Calandras' words like an inside joke.

He tenses underneath my touch, "W-what?"

I pull away just the slightest bit and look up at him, "You didn't remember that part?"

He shakes his head, eyes wide.

I tiptoe my fingers up his sternum as I say quietly, "You used to like to 'play' as my servant even though you were like my bodyguard or something."

I see his Adam's apple bob as he swallows, feel a prickle of anxiety shoot through his body, "Y-you remember that too?"