Chapter I/Part I, Shifting Dunes

Cy was practicing techniques out in the dark and damp forest near the town with his oldest brother, Sage.

"Ha, got you!" laughed Cy as he hit his brother in the side with a wooden training sword that Sage had carved for him.

"Good job, now let's practice the roll I taught you," Sage said, smiling at him.

Cy had two brothers and a sister. Cleve was three years younger than Cy and got into a large amount of fights, either with people or wild animals. Cleve had dusty sand-white skin and always laughed when one of his older brothers made a joke.

Kali was the second oldest of the four and had a more tanned skin than Cleve. She also had long brown hair. She was sixteen and probably the smartest in the family. Cy could always count on her if he ever needed help with something. She went to school in Leboural, which was the biggest city Cy had ever seen. It wasn't that far away, only around a day of walking to get there.

And then there was Sage. Sage determined his life to help around the small settlement. Helping the elderly with baskets, helped the local farmers with their crops, and was on the first defense squad. He had short curly hair and constantly had a smile on his face, except around his boss, who made him train most of the day.

Cy dodged a swing by rolling under and thrusted his sword in the direction of the attack.

Cy's hit landed on his brother's shield and his hit bounced off.

Cy didn't give up and parried another ark by his brother.

"Roll left, block and then strike!" thought Cy as another sword swung at him and he rolled under it, blocked the second swipe and attacked.

Cy hit his brother again, this time his sword caught on Sage's shirt.

"Alright, I think it's time to head back inside," Sage said giving up and untangling the sword.

"Alright," Cy sighed, "do you have training tomorrow?"

"Yeah, boss is worried about the scouting patrols from raiders" Sage responded, "but I think Kali might be coming from the city for a few weeks."

Cy stumbled forwards as his foot caught on a rock in the ground. He didn't think that his sister would ever come back home from the big city.

"Wow, haven't seen her in forever," said Cy.

"I know," Sage replied

As they both walked back their mother's small cabin, Cy smelled the fresh air and wondered what life would've been if they all still lived back in the desert.

The thought of the desert made Cy feel cold and the world tilted.

thud

Cy was now looking down at sand. Someone was tapping at his back.

"Hey! I think he's dead!" shouted someone.

"Poke him, make sure he is before we take him back."

Something sharp jabbed at Cy's ribs.

"Yeah, he's long gone, we can bring him back."

Cy was conscious, but couldn't speak, or move. He could only watch as three people in hoods and masks hauled him up and into a wagon.

The heat was scorching.

Soon enough, there was a jolt, and they started moving. What felt like hours passed, with only seeing cactus after cactus after cactus.

"I think this is the place, right?"

"I don't know, you were the one who was supposed to remember!"

"Well, I'm going to keep going through and see if we can find the bar."

Who at the bar-

Cy saw the world collapse inward, or outward, he couldn't tell.

"Cy, snap out of it!"

That was Sage, but not a Sage in his dream, Sage in the real world.

"Oh, uhh," Cy mumbled, "sorry, I... zoned out for a second."

"Could've been something worse," Sage said to him, "now, let's get you home buddy."

When they made their way back to the cabin, Cy heard the wolves howl in the distance and the screeching calls of sandpipers calling to the others.