Chapter 16: Peter

"I didn't kill Quentin Beck. The drones did." I said for the umpteenth time. Special Agent Cleary and his partner, Special Agent Birkes, have been interrogating me since they dragged me into this special interrogation cell. I had no clue where Atlantia was which concerned me. I knew they were not going to hurt her because all they thought was that she was under my control but I was still worried. More worried for her than I was for me if I was honest with myself.

"The drones that are yours." Special Agent Cleary says immediately.

"No!" I say before hesitating because it was true that they were sort of mine, "Well, look...Nick Fury was there the entire time. Just ask him and he can explain everything.

"Nick Fury has been off-planet for the last year." He smirks like he thinks he is unraveling all of my lies even though they were the truth.

"What?" I say confused when I hear Nick Fury was off-planet because I had literally talked to him during this mission.

"Peter!" I hear through the window. I turn to see M.J. and May being walked by surrounded by agents.

"M.J.!" I say worried before turning to Special Agent Cleary, "Uh...They had nothing to do with it, sir!" I say this very quickly and before I could say any more, I hear a bang on the window and I turn to see M.J. and May staring at me.

"Don't say anything, we got a lawyer!" They say in perfect unison before they follow the agents. I shut my mouth and turn back to Special Agent Cleary who was smirking at me.

"I can see you are quite loyal to your friends." Special Agent Cleary says leaning on the table that I was sitting at. "So, why won't you confess and save your friends from going down with you?"

"Because then I would be lying." I say, "and Aunt May taught me to not lie."

"Except for when you lied about who you were as Spiderman." He points out.

"There's a difference between withholding information and lying to someone's face." I say. "I am not the monster you think I am."

"No, Peter. You are worse." Agent Cleary says before beginning to pace around the room, "I could possibly see being motivated enough to kill a beloved hero for some misguided reason but forcing a young hero like Atlantia to do your bidding?"

"I never gave her the Cordelia!" I shout at him, "I love Atlantia and she does as well. I helped her break through the Cordelia!" Before I or Agent Cleary could say any more, the door to the room opens up and reveals a blind man, if his guide stick was anything to go by, wearing these red glasses.

"Who are you?" Agent Cleary asks sharply.

"Matt Murdock. Peter Parker's lawyer and I am going to ask that you release my client, Ms. May Parker, Ms. M.J. Watson, and Mr. Ned Leed as well." He says before leaning against the wall, "Oh, also Ms. Atlantia. I'm sure your doctors and scientists have determined that she is not under the influence of Cordelia by now and has not been for quite a while."

"You want me to release a murderer back into the public?" Agent Cleary scoffs.

"You have nothing to hold any of my clients." Matt Murdock replies smoothly, "Atlantia has been cleared to give a statement and I'm sure she is stating that Peter is not the one behind the attack. Also, your only evidence at the moment is a video that was displayed on a gossip show and had been highly tampered with. You have nothing." He beckons for me to follow him. I hesitate before I shoot up out of my chair and slowly walk toward the lawyer with the agents staring daggers at me.

"This isn't over, Peter." Agent Cleary says as I leave. "Not by a long shot."

He wasn't wrong. Even though Matt got my friends, May, and Atlantia out of custody, we were still a long way of proving that it was Beck's fault and not mine. Currently, Atlantia, May, Happy, Mr. Stark, me, and the lawyer were sitting at the table in my apartment. Atlantia was curled up against me and hadn't said much since we got back from the holding center which was weeks ago. I'm sure, even though they didn't really want to hurt her, they did some things to try to prove that I was controlling Atlantia and had tried to control her mind. The news channel was on in the background and I was watching it and I realized that I dragged Mr. Stark and his whole company into this along with Happy.