Disappear into the Night

I felt a cold metal hand lift my head out of the water. And then two flesh fingers go into my mouth and down my throat triggering my gag reflex. I began to throw up not once, not twice, not three times, but five times. Then I felt two strong arms pull me out of the water.

"Hey hey hey, stay with me ok?" The male voice said.

I looked up at him still weak, "why did you do that?" I whispered.

"No one deserves to die like that" he said still holding me in his arms.

"I don't have a choice... Vlad." I said weakly. "I'm his is prisoner and he's gone to his safe house to hide until he finds a new place for us. He has a tracker in my arm. I can't run or he'll know. If I take it out he'll know." I said as I pointed to the spot in my in my forearm where the tracker was placed. "This is my only chance at freedom" I began to cry.

"Not your only chance," the stranger said. "Im really sorry about this." He pulled out a knife and then cut into my skin. I screamed in pain as the tracker was ripped from my arm. He stood carrying me and stomped on it with his boot. And then ran downstairs with me still in his arms.

"Where are we going?" I asked weakly.

"Somewhere safe," he said. He stopped at a car which must have been his and placed me in the passenger seat. He buckled me up and then speed of down the street.

I closed my eyes as I began to get sleepy. "No no no, don't close your eyes on me" the man said as we disappeared into the night.

"Sleepy," I said.

"I know but you can't go to sleep not yet. Tell me about yourself." He said as he grabbed my hand.

"I'm Emerlee, Emerlee Wilson. I'm 21 years old. My parents died two years ago. They owed a lot of money especially to Vlad. Vlad found me at the funeral and said he'd pay all the money that they owed if I came to live with him. I didn't really have a choice. I had no job. I dropped out of college to take care of my dad who was sick. Then after he died my mom committed suicide three days later." I paused. "So I've been living with Vlad since."

"I'm sorry to hear that Emerlee. By the way I'm James, but everyone calls me Bucky." He said turning to me.

"Nice to meet you Bucky," I said giving him a weak smile.