Chapter 6 - Dark Oasis

The bus drive the next morning was quite different than our drives to school. Our class was sharing a bus and everybody seemed to be in a great mood. Some of the students were even singing and dancing with Miss Abeer.

I switched between watching them, talking to Noaf, Mariam and Dina, stalking Layan's phone with them and listening to music.

The time passed by quickly that way and soon we arrived at the resort. It appeared like a beautiful oasis. Honestly I just wanted to take some time to relax and get over the shitty drama of the last weeks.

Miss Abeer gathered us around her to announce the room division. To my horror Noaf and I would not share a room. Why was I with Mariam and Dina, while she had to put up with Rania and Layan? This had to be a mistake no matter what Miss Abeer was saying! Why did the trip have to start like this?

"I can't believe this shit. I have to speak with Miss Jumana. I don't get why they do this", Noaf complained on the way to our rooms.

"It wasn't them", Mariam confessed making us stop in our tracks. "Actually it was me."

"You're joking, right?", Noaf reassured.

"Why would you do that?", Dina questioned irritated.

"Just hear me out", Mariam pleaded.

"You're so selfish", Noaf replied.

"I thought that maybe you could be our eyes and ears in there. You know it would be really useful", Mariam explained.

"It's not that, Mariam", Noaf shot back. "Why do you keep acting like you're the only one in on this? Why didn't you tell us instead of surprising me?"

"I was looking forward to sharing a room, but Mariam has a point. You would be really useful in there", Dina agreed.

"You're both insane", Noaf shot back and left.

I went after her and stopped her by grabbing her wrist gently.

"Noaf, it's out of the question that Mariam acted awful. I was looking forward to sharing a room with you as well, but it seems like we can't change that now. Do you want to switch with me?", I offered.

She cocked an eyebrow at me. It was obvious that she was furious. "Are you kidding? It's bad enough for me to share a room with them, but Layan won't just forgive you for humiliating her in front of her friends. As if I would let you sleep in there on your own. Who knows what they would do to you", she considered. "I'm going to survive it. It's not your fault. Let's just enjoy as much time outside of our rooms as possible." With those words she set off toward her room and I followed her to get to mine.

I did not approach her suggesting that it would be better to give her some time and space to calm down first.

Inside my room I dropped my bag onto the last empty bed and sat down with a sigh. Mariam and Dina immediately confronted me. "What did she say?", Dina wondered.

"Seriously? What do you think? She's furious and feels betrayed", I enlightened them. Then I addressed Mariam: "Did you ever think about Noaf in this scenario? Just imagine sharing a room with Rania and Layan after everything they have done to us. How could you act so reckless?"

Mariam approached me angrily. "Reckless? It's all for the sake of the plan. You might not understand because you're too afraid to support us, but this is important. I did it for all of us. So we won't have to suffer under them anymore", she justified her actions.

"But Noaf is suffering under your action now. I wonder how you can make that up with your conscience", I shot back.

"I didn't want to harm Noaf, okay? Why did you even stand up for me back then at the assembly if you don't care one bit about me?", she questioned.