Chapter 13

Monday, November 14, 2022; outside of New London, Connecticut, U.S.A.

It has been a week since the opening of Chibiville. With the park's success growing at a gradual rate, various advertisements spawned in every form of media possible: television, newspapers, billboards, and (of course) social media platforms. Many people who traveled there shared their stories about winning some arcade games, riding coasters, doing mukbangs (eating shows) involving the park's food, and getting photos taken at designated spots just to name a few examples. Here is what some people said about Chibiville:

1. "This could be the Silverwood of New England, if not better."

2. "For a streamer with a physics degree, I didn't know what to expect. The presentation of the park sure surprised me!"

3. "It's the Apex Legends of the theme-park industry. We did not get any info about the park long before its opening, yet it is still a thrilling place to have fun."

4. "Is the park running a literal ghost kitchen? The chicken and waffles I ordered tasted a lot like how my granny used to make!"

5. "My cousin got a job as a vendor and said they are getting twenty bucks an hour. They even sent me photos of a competent workspace."

But, Chibiville would be seeing some serious competition because this morning, a newspaper delivered into Terry's office had a story that read:

"Billionaire Riley Kordan to Enter Theme Park Market:"

"Issues Challenge to Chibiville's Terry Darrell with New 'Crypto-Joy' Brand"

Terry looked down at the headline with a neutral face (straight mouth, eyes slightly squinted, and a light grimacing look) while taking small sips of his coffee from his small porcelain mug in a beige leather gaming chair. Apart from the muffled noises coming from the park, the office grew silent: texting noises emitted from Sonya's and Jared's phones at a low volume, the wall clock ticked every second, framed fanart of Terry and his friends along with their family photos occupied high up on the walls, Vince sat at a desk to get important paperwork done with a fellow colleague's help, the weather (although cloudy and a bit windy) stayed quiet. Sometimes, trucks delivering supplies would come in and out only when there is demand.

Terry picked up the paper for a closer examination before tossing it back down to his desk. "Seems like we clearly have the talent, or this Riley Kordan character would not have jumped on the amusement park craze all of a sudden!"

"If you were to look back at the successful products, then you would know there would be copycats," Jared commented, "But I would not say that all copycats are inferior. Look at the battle-royale market: we went from choosing either PUBG or Fortnite to basically any franchise cashing in on the trend. Some examples such as Apex Legends and Warzone did well and are still going strong today; others like Radical Heights fell flat on their faces. How about those dedicated consoles that play old-school games in high-definition? We got the bootleg ones that could be right up your alley. More like up your ass!"

"Of course, Jared," Terry agreed, "Even with all the money Riley has in his vault, he could not buy creativity."

"Sure. You got those solar panels above the parking lot that not only power the park in a more eco-efficient manner but are connected to the energy storages for future usage; an outdoor garden that is especially used to hold birthdays, weddings, and—for some reason—a school prom; paper takeout boxes and wooden utensils; electronic trash bins that will be opened after inputting what material to dispose of;...and these little guys!" Jared happily picked up and shook two wooden ornaments that resemble a bee and an alien. He then asked, "You got any more cards to pull from your sleeve? Maybe one with a trimmed end this time? Or have you been drawing hangers the whole time?"