six.

"Hey. Minho." 

Minho rolled his eyes as Chan slid into the desk next to him, Minho turning his body so he was facing away from the obnoxious boy. 

"Leave me alone," he said over his shoulder as he continued to doodle in his notebook. 

Chan scoffed. "'Leave me alone'," he mimicked in a high-pitched, whiny voice. 

Minho's mouth dropped open as he glanced at Chan in disbelief. "What are you, five?" he asked, rolling his eyes when Chan just smiled smugly at him in response. 

"Me and some of the guys on the football team are meeting up tonight. You should come." 

"'You should come'," Minho mimicked in the same jeering tone Chan had just used a second ago. 

Chan chuckled. "Cute." 

Minho shot Chan a disgusted glance, making Chan smile even more. 

"I just think it would be a good chance for you to make some friends. And I'd totally spend the whole time trying to convince you to join the team but that's besides the point. Stay in your little bubble of isolation, it's not like I care." 

Minho rolled his eyes again, raising his hand and shoving his middle finger right in Chan's face. "Fuck off." 

Chan pushed Minho's hand away, leaning in closer as he rested his chin on his palm. "I know you don't wanna be completely alone forever," he shot back. "Stop pretending like you don't care when you actually do. I know you secretly wish you had at least one person in your life. And that person can be me!" He sent Minho a crooked smile. 

Minho looked down at the drawing he was sketching- a window. 

"Nope, I'm good," he replied emotionlessly, a small smile coming to his face as he admired the picture his hand had pretty much drawn on its own. 

"Well, we're meeting in the gym tonight so if you wanna come, I'm not gonna turn you away," Chan said while starting to stand up from the desk to go sit with one of his friends. 

"Yeah, whatever," Minho said, only half-listening as he added some shading to part of his drawing. 

"Okay," Chan responded, turning and starting to walk away. 

But then it hit Minho. 

The gym. The school. Tonight. 

He was supposed to be taking Jisung to the school tonight. 

Fuck. 

Minho shot up suddenly, turning to Chan with an almost frantic expression and grabbing his wrist to stop him. 

"Wait!" he exclaimed, pushing some hair out of his eyes as he looked straight at Chan. 

Chan's eyes widened as he turned back around, but his surprised expression quickly developed into more of a smirk as he glanced down at Minho's hand which was almost but not quite holding his own. 

Minho followed Chan's line of sight down to their hands and almost gagged. He pushed away Chan's arm as fast as he could and wiped his hand on his sweater, rolling his eyes when Chan frowned. 

"You said- you said the gym?" Minho asked. 

Chan nodded. "Yeah. Changing your mind?" 

"No, I-" Minho sighed, plopping back down into his chair. "Fuck you." 

Chan scoffed. "I literally did nothing? Fucking weirdo." 

"At least I'm not the one who sticks my nose in other people's business and fucking ruins everything!" Minho snapped, but he must've said it too loudly, because a few heads turned to glance at him quizzically before going back to whatever they were doing. 

"What are you even freaking out about? I'm literally trying to be nice to you but you treat everyone around you like shit." 

"I treat people how they treat me," Minho defended. "You think anyone at this school has ever been decent to me?" 

"I'm trying to be decent to you, but you're too stuck in your own head to see that." 

Minho turned away and kept drawing. "Just leave me alone. I don't even see why you'd want to hang out with your friends in the stupid gym anyway." 

Chan flicked Minho in the arm, an annoyed expression on his face. "You wouldn't know anything about breaking in or vandalizing because you're a fucking loner, but it's fun. So get off my ass." 

"Can't get off what's not there." 

Minho looked back down at his notebook, not bothering to watch as Chan sulked away. 

Was he being harsh? Of course he was. But it wasn't just about how the people at school treated him. It was about how Chan's friends treated him. Minho's bruises from the last time he'd been beaten up hadn't even healed yet, and he was sure he would get more before they did. And for what? Why was he treated like this? Because he refused to worship the ground those disgusting dipshits walked on? Yeah, no. 

Minho didn't find himself caring about anyone. He was well aware that he was apathetic and maybe a little sociopathic, but based on all his life experiences people weren't really worth knowing. 

Well, except one person, but Minho pushed that thought aside because it made his cheeks turn pink and he didn't like that feeling very much.