bruno - finally home

a/n: this is your author no.2 writing, also watching encanto rn, much to my mother's disappointment and confusion. but anyway, hope you enjoy this one-shot :)
___________________________________

45 years ago-

The music was slightly overwhelming as everyone celebrated in Madrigal casita, as the Madrigal triplets had just gotten their Gifts, and the sound of laughter and chatter echoed through the walls. The whole town was there to witness the miracle, and you were one of the many people.

Your mama was friends with Alma, which meant that you were close with Pepa, Bruno, and Julieta. The four of you had been friends for as long as you could remember, but you had always been closest to Bruno, who seemed like the quietest and most awkward, but was actually one of the nicest people you had ever met.

You watched as Bruno closed his eyes, and sand started to swirl around him. The crowd "oohed" and "ahhed" as the wind became stronger. When Bruno opened his eyes again, they were a shocking bright green, and everyone waited in anticipation as he stared at something no one could see. Then, slowly but surely, a picture formed in the air. It looked like a grown up version of Bruno, and he was dancing gently with a woman, he slowly placed his hand around her waist and pulled her in for a hug.

Suddenly, the sand dropped to the floor and everyone was silent. Then a loud eruption of cheers exploded from the onlooking crowd, and everyone congratulated Bruno on his Gift, before he ducked under everyone's embraces and disappeared.

To you, the music and celebrations were a bit much, and you started searching for an exit to go outside.

"Y/N?" You felt a hand on your shoulder, and you turned around to see Bruno, with a wide smile on his face, his eyes shining as he looked at you.

"Bruno!" You wasted no time in pulling him into a hug, hearing him chuckle before wrapping his arms around you tightly. You pulled away, and stared at him proudly. "I can't believe you have a Gift."

He shrugged. "It's cool, but not exactly useful to the family, it's not like I can have a vision whenever I feel like it. I just saw Julieta run off to the kitchen to make arepas." He smiled sheepishly.

You winced when someone in the crowd whistled particularly loudly when Pepa made a rainbow appear above her head, and another loud clatter of applause thundered from the crowd. This didn't go unnoticed by Bruno, and he took one of your hands in his.

"Wanna get out of here?" He asked.

You nodded gratefully, and the two of you ran to the main door, dodging all the legs and decorations before running out into the night.

"Casita!" Bruno called to the house. "Get us up to the roof!" The wooden frames jumped to life as they formed a ladder in front of you, and Bruno wasted no time in scrambling up the ladder. You followed at a slower pace, not wanting to fall.

Before you got to the top, Bruno's head popped out from the roof and he offered you a hand with a grin. You grasped it tightly as he pulled you up.

You made your way over to a part of the roof and laid down, feeling Bruno lie down next to you. You stared at the stars in the night sky, watching them twinkle.

"I wish you could have a Gift too." He said randomly, tracing the outline of the stars with his finger as you turned to look at him. "It would be so cool."