Chapter 19

(Art by popover on Tumblr)

Whimsical dear, your lies are clear

Now who the hell would've ever guessed?

-----*-----

Your eyes pop open, begging for reality, as if a bad dream just ended. Those eyes meet Chris, who's still sitting in front of you with worry clear as the night sky. "I was hesitant in showing you just because of the end... I hope that doesn't make you think less of me. She just... had it coming."

"What did you even do to Anna?"

"All I did was wipe her memory of that day because I feared I'd let something slip during the... fight. The memory was then passed to me, which was how I transferred it to you from her point of view. Wiping memories is not viewed well by multiversal forces, but there's a chance you might not see great harm in it."

"Well, I think it's [not good/not that bad] to do that, but something like that wouldn't strip away whatever good thoughts I have left of you. That would have to be something behemoth."

He nervously laughs, then looks away. "Sorry," he murmurs.

"It's not like you to say that word," you chuckle. "What's the treat for?"

He looks at you in annoyance at first, but an accepting smile crosses his lips, and he goes along with it. "That's to try and get to eat that cotton candy you've been lugging around all day. Are you... gonna have it?"

"Oh, [I actually think this is a bit too sweet for me, I just thought it looked so poofy and nice, so you can have it./I'd like it, I was just too distracted before, but it probably caught dust from going around the carnival. I don't think it will hurt your ethereal form, though.] How do you suggest you eat it with your body like that?"

"I think I've figured out a few things about how this works. Hold my hand." He leans forward, going into the direct wind from outside. That doesn't matter to his form, and his hair rests untouched. His hand is close to yours. All you need to do is reach out a few inches. You hesitate.

"Are you sure? I know touching you can change a couple things, but..." You go on mumbling unintelligible excuses.

"Just trust me."

Finding it too hard to say no to expectant eyes, you place your hand on his. The wind starts brushing through his hair and causing ripples through his suit. Chris shivers, then grins. "Wow, I didn't know this would feel so nice..." he says, looking out the open part of the Ferris wheel car with wonder. You look out as well, see the tents. Further along there are the buildings. But if you lift your gaze above all the man-made structures and distractions, the sweeping hills and weaving roads under the cover of darkness exude tranquility, peace, acceptance for everything that is.

That acceptance doesn't leave completely as you look back toward Christopher, but you do feel the sentiment slowly withering. He tentatively reaches toward the cotton candy and gasps when he's able to hold it. Like a child excited by something minute, he savors each bite of the fluffy pink sweet, all while you hold his hand, not letting your grip slide and the cotton candy slip through his fingers to fall on the metal grate floor.

As all good things do, the cotton candy ends and he's left with a simple paper cone. You take it with your free hand, the other hand not being so because it's holding Chris's, as you realize in an instant. Your eyes dart up and meet his, warmth amidst embarrassment burning on your cheeks. Seeing you and your reaction, he pulls away. "Thanks for that," he says quietly. "And everything else."

Trying to lighten the now-awkward mood a little, you say with a laughing tone "I'm the best, aren't I?"

"The best of the best," he agrees with a little smile.