[33] Ummi's Favorite

The trip to Dora's Coffee Haunt wasn't silent as Talia maintained a light conversation with Tyler, subtly getting to know what kind of a person he was. Talia was excellent at judging people's nature and right then, she was convinced that Damian's friend was truly a genuine soul.

The boy was vivacious and vibrant, very opposite to her son. And yet she could see what would have attracted Damian towards him.

Of course, she knew about Damian and Tyler already. She just hadn't asked her son outright because she had sensed that he was nervous to tell her.

She understood the reason behind it too. Damian probably suspected that she had the same views as her father and that was why he was choosing not to elaborate more on himself and Tyler.

"Tyler, dear, how long have you been friends with Damian?"

He thought for a while before answering, "quite a long time now. I met him years ago in Aparo Park where he used to come regularly with Titus."

"Titus?"

"Damian's pet dog," he elaborated, realizing that either Talia was meeting Damian after a very long time or she was just very disconnected from his life.

"And I see you are just as fond of animals as my son is."

He smiled, "animals are always excellent company."

"Indeed." Her emerald eyes had swept over him subtly as she thought of whether or not to clear his doubts and indirectly put Damian out of his worries as well. "You might be thinking I am a very ignorant mother for not knowing anything about my son. But the truth is, dear, that even if I don't know a lot about him that doesn't mean I don't want him to be happy."

Tyler didn't get why she was telling him that, "okay...?"

"Damian probably doesn't know but I would never shun him for who he loves," her voice was slightly low and Tyler was even more confused, "all I want is for him to be happy. No matter who the person is, if he or she makes him happy, that's great."

He asked finally, unable to hold his curiosity at bay, "and you're telling me this because...?"

"Because I can see you're not just a friend," her smile had softened though Tyler had stiffened at that revelation, "you are someone very special to him."

He did not know what to reply to her as Damian's warning came to his mind again, "Ma'am, I think you're mistaken..."

"Tyler, dear, I am not mistaken. I know Damian warned you not to tell me but what can you do when I already know?"

"Well..."

"Don't look so anxious. I intentionally wanted to come here with you so that I would get to talk to you and clear everything up," she resumed, "Damian might feel hesitant as of now and I thought it would be better if I talk to you first before relieving him of his unnecessary worries."

The words were starting to sink in slowly as Tyler got the gist of what she was saying. "So... You have no objection with mine and Dami's relationship?"

"Why would I object?"

He felt a weight lift off his shoulders, "thank you. Dami had been somewhat nervous about telling you and I could feel that so I thought I should give him time to explain it to you himself."

"No need, dear. It doesn't matter," the smile from her face hadn't faltered, "you seem like a very nice person. My son surely knows how to choose the right person for himself."

Tyler felt his cheeks heat up and the shade darkened as Talia's hand rested gently on his shoulder.

"It's indeed a pleasure to meet you, Tyler. I'm glad you are in my son's life," she remarked in a soft tone, watching the boy in front of her relax as well and offer her a smile in return.

He might be opposite from Damian but he had a good heart and a warm soul. And if that was what made Damian happy, then who was she to have any objection with it?

All she wanted was for her son to live the life she could never provide for him. And even more than that, she wanted him to be happy.

If staying with Tyler made him happy, then so be it.

***

When Mona learned that Talia had come to the shop, she left what she was doing and rushed out to meet her. It wasn't hard to recognize her; the woman with sunglasses and a deep red scarf was being led to a table by Tyler.

"Ummi!" Out of excitement, she quickly approached her and wrapped her arms around her, "I have missed you so much."

"I have missed you too, darling," she replied, holding her close, emerald eyes falling shut as she let herself relax. 

Tyler was surprised to see Mona address her as if she was her mother too but chose not to ask anything about it.

"You have grown so much since I last saw you," she remarked when Mona let go of her, observing that the girl was taller and her soft brown hair reached down to her elbows, currently pulled back in a braid, "or maybe it's because I am seeing you after so long."

"I will turn eleven in a few months," Mona told her, "and you last saw me when I was five. Of course, I have grown a lot."

"And you are so happy here, aren't you?" A faint trace of sadness lingered in her tone as she spoke, but then she knew it was better that Mona was with her family and not with her.

She could not bear the thought of the innocent girl being dragged into the mess she and the League had to face regularly.

"I am. And I am twice happier now that you are here too," Mona's blue eyes twinkled as she smiled, "please stay with us and don't ever go back."

She shook her head, "that's not possible, dear. I will have to go back."

"But not now. You just came here!" She protested, holding on to her again, "I won't let you go."

Talia's slender hands stroked her hair affectionately, "I am not going anywhere just yet, Mona. But eventually, I will have to leave. My people need me to be with them."

"And am I not part of your people?" Her pink lips were set into an adorable frown and wide blue eyes were locked upon her.

Talia sighed, leaning in to kiss her forehead, "yes, you are my favorite out of all the people I value."

Blue eyes widened in that expression which no one could say no to, "then let me come with you."

"No, you have a family here. You have to stay here."

"I want you to stay here too then," she spoke up, "with me and Dami."

Talia looked at her, eyes flickering in sadness, "I can't... Try to understand, dear, I can't leave the base and my soldiers. I will have to go back as soon as possible."

"Damian is always so worried about you, Ummi," she spoke up, changing the topic slightly, "and I ask him but he tells me nothing. No one tells me anything..."

"He knows nothing, either. And it's better if he stays here too with you and leaves the matters of the League to me." Though hearing that Damian was worried for her and cared for her well-being made her heart swell with pride and love.

She seldom showed it but Damian was her only son and she valued him a lot. Learning that he too thought the same for her was quite relieving. 

All that was left for her to do then was to clear Damian's doubts and let him know that no matter who he chose to spend his life with, she would not object as long as the person gave him happiness.

***