five

"Don't!"

Cecenia's heart stopped momentarily when she gracefully spun out of the way of one of Inej's knives. Inej's eyes were wide and furious, blood coating over her hands and some on her forehead. Cecenia immediately stepped forward, tearing the knife from the wall as she walking toward Inej. She slid off the man hesitantly, her eyes focused on Kaz who was returning the intense glare that he was receiving from the Wraith.

She placed the knife back into the Wraith's belt, placing her hands onto her shoulders as she looked the girl up and down quickly. Inej's eyes were still solely focused on Kaz, the anger radiating from her soul rolled off one waves, Cecenia moving her hands to Inej's cheeks.

"He is our way to Aline Starkov, Inej." She stated, voice dropping down just above a whisper as Inej finally moved her eyes toward Cecenia.

"Him?" She asked softly, voice unbelieving as she glancing toward the Conductor. Cece just nodded, brushing a stray hair out of Inej's face as she listened. She knew that her touch would help calm her down, and prevent any rash decisions being made for at least the time being.

"Heleen knew it. She was using you to sabotage our mission." Kaz explained from behind Cecenia, the Shadow removing her hands from the Suli girl as Inej pushed her to the side. Her glare was now back on Kaz, hand hovering over her knife as Cecenia and the Conductor watched quietly. The man's breathing was unbearably loud, his eyes squeezed shut as he seemed to be mumbling a prayer.

"She and I made a deal." Inej argued, looking toward the Conductor with such malice that Cecenia knew she would've killed him right then and there if her and Kaz had found them a moment later.

"It isn't worth more than what we get with him alive."

Inej's head whipped back toward Kaz, the anger seeming to have only increased from the look she was giving him. Kaz's expression didn't change, staying stoic as ever as he stared down at her.

"You choose him over my freedom?" Inej asked, her voice low as she stared into Kaz's eyes. Cecenia watched the way his eye twitched slightly, her nails digging into her palms as she awaited his answer.

"You assume it's one or the other." Kaz replied, his tone accusatory as Inej just scoffed. She sniffed slightly, looking back at the Conductor for a moment. Instead of saying a word in reply, the Suli girl instead moved to Cecenia's side. She practically collapsed when Cece wrapped her arms around her, Kaz watching for a moment as Cecenia talked to her friend in a whisper.

Cecenia, watching Kaz walk slowly as she held Inej, frowned. He was such an idiot at times, and now was definitely one of those times.

"Conductor. I have a job for you." He stated, Inej turning in Cecenia's hold so that she could watch the two. Her face was back to being the expressionless slate it usually was, Cecenia's following in suit as they walked up beside Kaz together.

"Get us to the Little Palace." Cecenia chimed in now, her slight accent appearing as she peered down at him. It wasn't often that Ravkan accent appeared in her voice, but Kaz could tell by the way it shook slightly, that the nerves were beginning to get to her.

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥

"I didn't hire you simply to get us across the Fold. You're with us because you smuggle Grisha out of the Little Palace, and that's the location of our target." Kaz explained, Cecenia shifting from beside him due to how uncomfortable the carriage was thus far. Her bottom was unbelievably sore, and she couldn't bare the awkward glances that Jesper and Inej were giving her ever time Arken muttered a word.