eleven

"Good news, it's just as terrifying as I remember."

The Crows stood in the back of the skiff, watching as the Fold grew closer to them slowly. Being exposed to the shadows was a whole new experience for them, and Cecenia found herself missing the little hunk of junk train they had the pleasure of traveling in not so long ago.

"Except this time we're going in completely exposed." Inej replied lowly, Cecenia nodding in agreement.

"Bad design on their part." She mumbled, Jesper and Inej nodding along.

"If I'm meant to die today, and any of you three survive, make sure I have an open casket." Jesper asked, Inej and Cecenia glancing at him simultaneously.

"No one's dying today." Kaz replied quickly, not taking his eyes off the Fold which was growing closer and closer. Kaz, without glancing down, slowly moved his hand so that he was holding Cecenia's for a moment. She accepted the touch immediately, gripping his hand with hers as if she would never let go.

"No mourners." Kaz said.

"No funerals." The Shadow, Wraith, and sharpshooter replied swiftly.

As soon as it was said, darkness over took them.

The Fold was cold and dark, dark enough where no one could really see a thing. Kaz and Cecenia held each others hands tightly, their eyes examining the dark and eerie place. The group on the skiff were all in awe of how terrifying one place could truly be, and Kirigan looked as if he were right at home.

The fog that covered the ground made it impossible to see if anything was around the skiff, but the full clouds in the sky were filled with strikes of lightning. The skiff was filled with silence besides the occasional remarks from Kirigan or his Heartrender.

When five marks were passed, Kaz keeping track, the Crows made their way down to the lower part of the skiff. Jesper held open the hatch for them, Cecenia climbing down first while the others followed. Examining the lower deck momentarily, Cecenia found that it truly wasn't anything special.

The noises from the volcra followed them down, filling the deck with screeches which could be heard from miles away. Choosing to ignore them momentarily, the Crows turned toward each other.

Jesper tore off the outer layers of his outfit as the others took their hats off. Inej took her coat off as Cecenia began stripping off the extra layer of clothes so that she was in her usual. Her knives glinted against the small light of the lower deck, making her sparkle slightly.

"This is a bad idea." Jesper stated as he started messing with his bullets. Kaz only spared him a glance as Cecenia sat beside him, watching as Kaz rubbed his bad leg. She knew it had to be bothering him after walking and standing without it for so long, and for that she felt bad.

"I think it's rather practical." Kaz replied as he looked back toward his leg.

"What? Why?" Jesper asked immediately as he looked up from his guns. His brows were furrowed as he looked at Kaz as though he were insane. Cecenia began checking her knives as she sat, gently tapping a finger over each one to check it was there.

"I don't see how we step off this boat without you pulling those guns. So, cleaning them is a good idea." Kaz replied as he looked up, listening to the volcra from overhead. Jesper just chuckled dryly. Nodding his head, an annoyed smile took over his face.

"I don't mean this. I mean this." He explained as he gestured to the situation with the twirl of his finger. His words were followed by a volcra screaming, sounding closer than before hand.

"We are in the worst place in the world, on a ship full of people who want us dead, surrounded by monsters who want us in their gullets. Oh I should have brought Milo."